Windows 2000, "System process" taking 100% CPU usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrbug

Well I have just upgraded my pc from win98se to Windows 2000, and there is some problem with the system, because if task monitor is opened the process "system" is taking up 100% of mu CPU usage.

What possably could be the problem?

I would greatly appreciate someones help on this, as my pc is very very slow now, I have a 1200Mhz Athelon with 400Mb Ram.

Urgent help is needed!!!
Thanks guys... and girls.

Maybe Scandisk, Defrag, Virus Scanner or some other program is scheduled to run in the BG?

mrbug

There are no programs scheduled to run. Could it be a virus??

mrbug

I think I have found the problem. I have installed my printer, HP Officejet T series, and if I disable it then the CPU usage restores. Well Now all I need to know is how to get into the winndows 2000 startup options to remove it when starting up. I know it is stupid but I have just upgraded from win98, and all you have to do there is run "msconfig" and that doesn't work with win 2000.

Thanks for the replys.

greatly appreciated

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online