1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Terminal Services License Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by malifluous, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malifluous

malifluous Thread Starter

Hello my name is Adam. I am a desktop/lan admin for a warehouse supply company in New York. We run a strictly Windows 2000 domain with about 70 computers and maybe 3 or 4 Windows XP machines. I recently enabled a Terminal Services Server to allow 3 or 4 of my users to run database intensive Apps on the server. The reason for this is when they use specific functions in our "in house application" the app freezes up until it has finished its process (allocation of goods for large orders, takes about an hour tops). The app freezes up to do its job and the user is left with nothing to do because they cant touch the app until its done. So by enabling terminal services for them, they can run there allocations on the Terminal server, minimize it and keep doing there work on there computers.

Now, along with the Terminal Service Server, I am aware I need a Terminal service license server enabled on the network within 90 days. I have yet to enable a license server because I am somewhat unclear on its neccesity. I have read in the microsoft documentation

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...s/default.mspx

that machines with Windows 2000 on them already have built in licenses and therefore you do not need to purchase additional licenses. The documentation also states that if you do not enable a license server, anyone without a pre issued license will not be able to connect. My question is this, if I am only connecting to the terminal services server via Windows 2000 Machines, do i even need the license server?? It would appear to me that the Windows 2000 Machines DO have built in Licenses thus allowing them to connect regaurdless of the License Server.

What I suspect is that even though I don't have to pay for additional licenses, the License server has to be up and running. (because thats how Microsoft likes to be) The reason i'd like to avoid this is because a license server has to be enabled on a domain controller and id like to avoid running more services on my domain controller. Any help or info is much appreciated, thanks.

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

For admin reasons, Windows 2000 Server comes with 2 licenses. You don't need to enable terminal server in order to use these. If you do, then you will have 90 days to get licenses. You'll have to order a pack of licenses, and then add the key to your server or it will stop allowing term server connections after the 90 days. If you only have 2 people on it at a time, you can just do it for free. If you need all 4 on at the same time, then you will have to buy a pack of licenses.

3. malifluous

Well my link got messed up somehow so here it is again.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/win2kts/evaluate/featfunc/tslicens.mspx

I am aware of the 2 user administration mode, but as you had assumed I do need more users connected. However, if you read the microsoft documentation it would appear I may not have to pay, i just need to activate. To quote the microsoft link.

"Built-in licenses. Clients that are running the Windows 2000 operating system are automatically licensed as Terminal Services Clients."

In addition to that, it specifies that you only need Ts Cals for Non-windows 2000 installations.

"Terminal Services Client Access licenses (TS CALs). These licenses are purchased for known, non-Windows 2000 devices connecting to a terminal server."

So I am not really sure if I need to purchase licenses or not. As I said, accoding to thier documentation i may not. I think im going to email Microsoft and see if they will just answer my question without charging me. Thanks for the reply, let me know if you come accross anything :D

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

Well if you do email them, ask them about it with 2003 Server and XP clients. That would be a good thing to know. I guess the way I understand it from what your saying is that you would only have to buy licenses for non-windows stuff. Like thin clients. In that case, what about XP embedded?

5. malifluous

Alright i called Microsoft to find the specifics. With Windows 2000 terminal server and license server you only need CALs for non Windows 2000 and Xp Pro machines. So, any Windows 2000 or Windows XP pro machines can connect ot the license server and will be given licenses without purchased TS Cals. So as long as your using Terminal Server 2000 you can have your Windows 2000 and XP Pro users connect for free.

NOW...the same does not apply for WIndows 2003. I asked this just for you matt_aj lol. I was informed if your using Terminal Server 2003, you have to pay for TS_Cals regaurdless of operating system. So even if your using WIndows 2000 or XP Pro machines to connect to your 2003 TS server, you will ned to pay.

So the lesson learned, dont upgrade to 2003 TS unless you need a specific function!!! lol So to put in short. If you are using TS 2000 and have a TS 2000 licensing server, your Windows 2000 and XP pro users can connect for free. Case closed...LOL.

Thanks for your input matt_aj, I hope this info helped you as well.

6. matt_aj

matt_aj

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Imagine that... Microsoft making things more difficult, more expensive, and more confusing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice