Windows 2000 Type Sign-On Screen in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JerryAttrick

My logon type continues to stay as the Windows 2000 classic logon prompt when I start my computer, even though I prefer to have the XP style... I have it switched to XP style logon in account settings, but it does not change it back. Any suggestions? Thanks!

When you change the Logon Style are you checking the Welcome screen option?

JerryAttrick

Yes. I have gone through all of the "typical" motions for this. I have that checked... It's bugging hell out of me because I think something stupid is going down that I should already know... Thanks, though.

Here's a registry hack that may fix the problem:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] / Value Name: LogonType
Value Data: [0 - Classic Mode / 1 - Welcome Screen]
Modify/Create the Value Name [LogonType] according to the Value Data listed above.
Exit Registry and Reboot

JerryAttrick

Sorry. I lied. It didn't work... It only removed the 2000 log on screen... When I added a new user to take advantage of the quick-switch feature, the dreaded 2000 log on window came back... Any more ideas? Thanks!

Try going to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff\Policy\LogonType

And make sure the key: RegKey

Equals=Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Maybe the only fix is a reinstall of Windows, which will refresh Windows but it will not affect your data files.

If you want to try it you can use Search of our site for details how to perform it.

how can i get rid of both?
like, how can i go straight to the desktop, without the welcome screen or logon prompt?

JerryAttrick, try steps 1 & 2.

Flyskimma, try all 3.

Step 1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

Step 2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
click OK.

Step 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
logged on each time you start your computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online