1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 user joins new domain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by InfiniGuy, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfiniGuy

InfiniGuy Thread Starter

Here is my situation:

A user running windows 2000 on an NT4 domain joins a win2000 domain of the same name. How do I keep his local user settings (desktop, my documents, outlook etc.) from beginning anew?

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Try set him up with a roaming profile.

Open up User Manager for Domains, select his user account and open it.

Click on the Profile button and edit his profile like shown below (substituting the words server, share, username for the actual names)

[​IMG]

Then copy his profile out of "c:\Documents and Settings" on his HD to that share.

Then do the same for the Win2000 server, and copy the profile to a server on that domain.

See what happens...

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. InfiniGuy

InfiniGuy Thread Starter

Only problem is the old NT server crashed, so I can't do anything with it.

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Um... Ok, then just copy his profile to a network drive, and change his profile setting in User manager in Win2K.

Then log onto his machine using the local Admin account. Move the profile away from the "Document od Profile" directory.

Now let him logon with the network profile. If you are running in native mode (ie with full AD activated) then he can log on straight away. If you are running in mixed mode (ie you still have some NT4 machines on the network), you will need to sync the domain from server manager before he can log on.

Hope that helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice