1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000 vs Vista

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alice38644, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alice38644

alice38644 Thread Starter

My home PC uses Windows 2000 as it's OS. At work I'm on XP, which I really like. I'm wondering if I should change my home PC to Vista. Does that make any sense? If I do, how much trouble will it be to make the change?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps the complete specifications of your machine would help us help you. :)

3. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

4. alice38644

alice38644 Thread Starter

I don't have the specs here. My home PC would have no problem handling the software. I should have been more specific with my original question. What I really want to know is it worth it to go through the expense of the software and the reload of my system. Are there just so many bells and whistles that I will never use?

5. pietervanooijen

pietervanooijen

Vista likes only fast computers and a lot of memory. Its like moving from w98 to XP. You current system is build to work properly with w2000. If you like Vista, please buy a new computer otherwise it will be slowwwww. Like Xp was slow on a system build for W98.

Its not only the Ram of CPU the whole design of the computer must match the Supported OS.

If you like speed and functionality: stick to w200o proff. The best OS there is.

6. curbspaget

curbspaget

If you're looking to upgrade, go for linux. I would, but my parents think it's not worth it...

Linux is more stable, and not as annoying.

7. bigk

bigk

You know I tried that quite some time ago, and it seems like a joke. Click on the little computer near my name and the adviser told me my computer would work best with home basic. I think this pc could run the premium version pretty good. I wouldn't say ultra fast but I think it would be at least decent.

Also I would go with Windows: Vista (coming out on January 30, 2007). Because it will be the newest one and a lot of the newer software will be built for that operating system.

Bigk :)

8. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

"I think this pc could run the premium version pretty good."... Well, you'll be able to find out next week... Good luck if you try the upgrade.

9. grandma77

grandma77

BillytheAdult was right in telling you to go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx
    This site will let you know whether the programs you have on your computer are compatible with Vista. My virus protection and printer are not compatible. I have enough memory and stuff like that but I am not buying a new printer and virus protection just to get a new OS. I checked mine out with that vista advisory and I am glad I did. I had all the specs the OS needed but compatibility issues was another thing.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I don't recommend buying anything first model. Give them a year to work out the bugs.
    Vista advisory site will say anything with minimum specs will work.
    Know of anything that works well with minimum specs?

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I don't recommend buying anything first model. Give them a year to work out the bugs. How many people are rolling back to IE6? WMP 10?
    Vista advisory site will say anything with minimum specs will work.
    Know of anything that works well with minimum specs?

12. grandma77

grandma77

How many people bought computers with XP and only 256MB ram and have slow machines. They said it was enough for that OS...I know too many people that had to purchase more ram cause their computers were so slow. Many are saying you better have 1 GB Ram for the Vista to work well but Microsoft is saying it is ok with less. You are so right.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. unbidden

unbidden

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win2k is / was my favorite os; much preferred over xp. With that said I have been running vista RTM for a little over a month and really like it. As far as the differences between win2k and vista, vista has system restore, it has native support for EIST [if you have a newer PentiumD cpu or C2D this will really help with temps] the aero look [which some people like and some do not]

The much hyped security is not anything you cannot have with win2k using gpedit, a good hardware firewall, etc.

I would say that if all of your software will work with vista AND you have a machine with at least a 2gig cpu and 1gig of ram with a high end video card, then yes you will probably like vista.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice