Windows 2000 WINNT folder size

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bogyi

Hi All,
Weird thing is happening to one of the Win 2000 workstation.

When I right click on WINNT folder and choose properties - the size shows 15.xx GB.
When I go into to WINNT folder and select all files and folder (including hidden), and choose properties, the size shows only 2.xx GB.

anyone knows how to find out the difference? I need free up some HDD space.

Thanks in advance.
bogyi

It's the way Windows works - as follows:
If you select WINNT by itself, you get the larger value and the true drive space usage.
If you select all the files individually, hidden and system files are not counted, unless you have selected to show them in Tools => Folder Options => View.

To see a graphic of drive or folder space usage, download TreeSize here:

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Just download the 'Download.exe' version that doesn't need to be installed, or if you want it installed in your computer, get the 'Installer' version.

bogyi

Hi Claymore,
Thanks for your answer.

I am not totally sure if the windows work that way because the size different is very big. 15GB and 2GB.
And I select all the hidden files and system files. (I select them to show).

It's kind of weird.
I am going to try the tools you send me.
Let you know the result.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online