1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LOLZpersonok, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LOLZpersonok

LOLZpersonok Thread Starter

I have an older laptop that I want to get onto the Internet wirelessly, so I bought a Wireless PCMCIA card that should do the job. This card is a UTStarcomm DMC100 (I think that's the model, I can't remember off the top of my head) that uses an Atheros Driver. This card did not come with Windows 2000 specific drivers, however, the Windows XP driver works just fine under Windows 2000.

But I do not have a wireless networking manager for this specific driver and/or card. Windows does detect the card correctly as an "Atheros Wireless Networking Card" or something to that effect. The card does work because the WLAN light flashes and I've tried with some kind of client that allowed me to detect my network properly. But this software did not connect me to the network because it was the trial version and I am not willing to pay for software like that unless I have to.

Is there any wireless networking software that I could get for it to work? I tried searching Google for it and it turned up nothing for me...Please help!!!!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. LOLZpersonok

I forgot to mention the laptop's make and model. It's an IBM ThinkPad 1300 i Series 1171 from around the year 2000. I don't think that laptop is particularily common. I'll go through the link you sent me. Thanks, I'll come back if I still have trouble.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, good luck with it.

5. LOLZpersonok

Nope, the linked software didn't work. It gave me two Entry Point Not Found errors. Two different ones. So, it didn't install.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. LOLZpersonok

Thanks for the links, I found them very useful, especially the link for the wireless client. It's just not detecting my Wireless Adapter. Think I might end up stealing the wireless card out of one of my other laptops for this one, if at all possible. Would you be willing to help me to get my wireless card to be detected by the Wireless Client software?

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes I'll try to help.

If you look at page 149 in the service manual, under '1130 Wireless Mini PCI card' and click on the blue boxes in turn that will show how to get to the wireless card socket.

I think that client software will work with any compatible wireless card but you will need to find a driver for whichever card you fit.

9. LOLZpersonok

I already have a driver loaded for that Wireless Adapter I chose for it. I found a different Atheros driver that was designed specifically for Windows 2000 and would work with my adapter but the client software doesn't seem to see my card.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    This is the PCMCIA card Atheros driver ?

I think the client software from the Lenova site expects to find an internal wireless card physically installed as shown by the service manual. These are called mini-PCI wireless cards. I assumed that's what you meant by using a card from another laptop.

Let me know if I've got this all wrong !

11. LOLZpersonok

The driver should work with the PCMCIA card. As I said earlier, with that trial software I had that wouldn't connect me it was able to successfully detect my network and the other networks as well.

As for the second part, that is what I meant from using another card from another laptop. Don't know if it would work though since these cards would probably be either too small or big for this laptop.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  13. LOLZpersonok

Just as I thought...There's a potential that the ones in my other laptops wouldn't work. I could take the one from my netbook (which is broken) but I highly doubt it would work because chances are, the card would be just too new for it to work in my IBM. The second oldest laptop I could take the card from also might be too new for my IBM...

How much do those kinds of internal wireless cards go for on eBay? (And, what type are they so that I know what to search for)

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I've bought several of these :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320545633819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very cheap, they may be used but should work fine.They can take a long time to arrive though, around 4 weeks.

If you want faster delivery try Ebay, you need a Mini-PCI wireless B or G card (not PCI-E or PCI-Express). I've replaced B types with faster G types in a few old laptops and they work at G speed. G should drop back to B if that's all your laptop can handle so I would get a G type.

15. LOLZpersonok

Okay, cool. Thanks for the information. I'll buy one once I figure out what kind my IBM will take, if it'll take one at all. But as you said, it probably will. I won't jump to conclusions and buy one before I actually take apart the laptop. Thanks again!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice