1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000/XP boot problem-Compaq

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emoham, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emoham

emoham Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I have a Compaq Presario 5000 with 192M of RAM, 866MHz, and 40G HD. It had Windows Me loaded on it, and I tried installing W2K, but it didn't work. Here is the error message that I get:

couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)
    NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)

As some of you suggested in other potings, I made sure that the boot from CD was the first option in BIOS. I tried installing Windows 98. NT4, 2000, and XP using bootable CDs and startup disks but didn't get anywhere. I booted in DOS and formatted the HD and used different partitions sizes and formatted them in FAT and NTFS, and I still got the same result. The cable is connected properly to the HD and there are no apparent damage/problem with anything inside. Linux works like a champ on it, but windows doesn't.
    I have been banging my head against the wall for a few weeks now, and I do appreciate any help, suggestion.........

Thanks

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

it is a compaq bios problem they want you to buy their upgrade disk. the only 2 ways i have installed 2000 and xp were. 1 start install with booted all the way and install xp\200 in a nother partition. now you have a dual partition.

or i lucked out and have a mb that has the same chipset as my amd compaq and i installed on that machine then moved to compaq when it was done.

3. emoham

emoham Thread Starter

Where can I get the upgrade disk?

Thanks

4. bornl

bornl

I have a compaq presario 7360 win AMD 500Mhz, 256MB ram, segate baracuda 40GB Hard Disk (old 10 GB Died).

I install the 40 GB and tried t install Xp and got the error

"couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)
    NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)"

Searched the web for solution and found this thread and similar one like it that all suggest using fdisk to solve the issue. Problem was Fdisk would not run (div/0 error).

Digging further I found that The problem seems to be with the HD being set on CS. Once the HD was set on master everything was ok. XP setup work without a hitch.

Just my contrib.

5. catvdawg

catvdawg

Step 1: BIOS Defaults
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Press the F10 key when you see the red Compaq logo.
    3. Select "English" as language.
    4. From the Main Menu, select "Set Defaults and Exit" option.
    Step 2: Hard Drive Erase Utility
    Download a software from the following link:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/SP20532.exe

and create a bootable floppy disk using the software.

Use the floppy disk to erase the hard disk.
    The floppy disk will automatically do the job once you put it in the Floppy Drive and make it run.
    Step 3: Use the Restore CD.

that worked for me when i replaced the hd.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice