Windows 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rebon

I have a windows 2000 operating system disk which i bought in a carboot sale, seems to be the real thing.

It says it is only usable with a dell pc? Does this mean it wont install on anything but a dell pc, or can I use it for any pc?

If its only usable on a dell I think i will have to sell it :)

thx...rob

It can probably be used on any type of PC, although not legally. The cd was likely part of a pre-packaged computer put out by Dell. I've seen discs like that for Norton/Adobe stuff.

crjdriver

A Dell recovery disk goes through a hardware check prior to installing. If it does not find the "Correct" hardware, it will not install. There are ways around this hardware check, however I cannot tell you since it falls into the realm of cracking.

Those Dell disks apparently check for Dell BIOS several times during the install.

Even if you manage to get it completely installed, it'll once again check for the Dell BIOS before it'll boot.

rebon

So Given your replies, its not legal and I will have to install it onto a dell pc to make it work :( seems i made a bum buy :) Oh well you learn by your mistakes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online