1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sapphire125, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sapphire125

sapphire125 Thread Starter

I am new in here and I have a problem on a windows 2000 machine, in windows explorer if you click on the folder view button the left side of the screen goes to a gray colour and nothing is displayed. :mad:

The same machine also has a problem with IE if your browsing and click on a link that opens in another window it opens the window but nothing ever appears and the address bar remains empty but if you type in an address in it goes to the address. :mad:

I dont know if or even how the user has done this also

Hope someone in here has seen this problem before and can give me some pointers.

Cheers

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

EDIT: Here is the original thread. http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=113867&

The problem of the Grayed out Explorer Folders Pane has been traced to a single registry key.

This one:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\InProcServer32

The Default value for this key points to the file which builds the Explorer Band. That file is either Shdocvw.dll or Browseui.dll. The file varies according to which version of Internet Explorer is installed. If this entry is not correct, the Pane will not be built.

Internet Explorer 5.5 uses Browseui.dll
    All other Internet Explorer Versions use Shdocvw.dll

Using a registry file and merging that file into the registry can repair the problem on all versions except IE 5.5.

------------------------------------------------

For All Internet Explorer versions EXCEPT IE 5.5

Go to Start>run and type Regedit. Press Enter

Navigate to this key:

Highlight InProcServer32 in the left pane. In the right pane, double click on Default. Modify the value data in the box which will come up, by typing in the correct path to shdocvw.dll. Click Ok. Close the Registry.

Or you can download a file and merge that into the Registry:

There are two files, one for Win9x and ME, another for WinXP and Windows2000. This is because the path to shdocvw.dll is different in each operating system. And the Operating Systems use different registry value types.

Download the appropriate file for your operating system. The files are attached as text files. Download the text file and rename it with a .reg extension. Double click the registry file to Merge into the registry. If you are running Windows 2000 or WindowsXP, the file attached here is correct for your Operating System.

If you use Win 9x or ME, go to this link for the correct file:

http://forums.techguy.org/t59067/sd...e4cb04f6b7.html

-------------------------------------------------------
    For those of you using Internet Explorer 5.5

Repair Internet Explorer. See if that corrects the situation. If not then doublecheck your installed version of Browseui.dll to be sure it is the correct version for IE 5.5.

To cover all bases, (note: The registry usually doesn't solve the problem for IE 5.5)
    Go to this key:

Click on InProcServer32

Make sure the Default in the right pane is the correct path to Browseui.dll.

If none of this helps, you may either Upgrade Internet Explorer or revert to the previous version and/or try another reinstall of Internet Explorer 5.5.

Everyone should be using IE6 SP1 by now, without problem.

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

The owner may have tried to revert to IE5ยท5 from IE6 if I remember correctly. Do you know how much RAM this system has, and any other specs?

4. sapphire125

Its a P3 with 128 meg of ram, its one of those expensive Dell laptops that were around a few years ago I have tried to grt him to upgrade but no go, how do I put it back to IE 5.5 from 6

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You should tell him that his PIII needs more than 128Mb of RAM for the system to perform properly with todays programs. 512Mb is good, 256Mb not quite adequate and 128Mb, well not enough for the present time really and a lot of people are using 1024Mb or more.

I started out with 256Mb and three slots, so I put in two more 256Mb modules, one at a time, and the performance went up each time.

He should stick to IE6 and not go backwards. IE6 performs MUCH better with 512Mb of RAM in the system.

Is the OS fully updated to SP4 plus?

Adding RAM is the cheapest way to improve system performance and there are some really good prices around these days.

http://www.pricewatch.com

6. sapphire125

Ok thanks for the advice I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on, I will also tell him about the ram in his machine and see if I can get him to upgrade. :rolleyes:

Cheers

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hold the RAM in your left hand and the shotgun in your right hand. Works every time. :)

8. sapphire125

I never thought about that before but perhaps that is the way forward in this case :)

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice