1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 boot problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by djculver, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djculver

djculver Thread Starter

Help!
    I probably caused this one myself. I built a machine and loaded Red Hat Linux 9.0 and everything seemed fine. I shut it down, unplugged and pirated the monitor, keyboard and mouse for my wife to use with her laptop. I decided to load Windows 2003 Server and work on an MCSA Certification. I picked up a cheap monitor, mouse, keyboard and nic card and plugged them in an installed the nic card. I powered on the system and it stopped halfway throught the Linux boot process with no error but locked up so I couldn't enter any keystrokes etc. I tried booting from the 2003 CD and received this error as the 2003 Server process started. "an unexpected error (1955050494) occurred at line 1894 in D:\SRV03RTM\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c. press any key to continue". I press any key but nothing happens. I swapped keyboards, mouse, etc. and tryed the new keyboard, mouse in the USB port and regular plug, still no dice. I flashed the BIOS and tried everything again including taking out the nic card. I still get the same message when booting from the 2003 CD and Linux stops weather booting from CD or hard drive. I am A + certified and have been doing PC support part time for about six months but can't get a handle on this one. Any help would be apprecited. Oh, also, the hard drive was new when I loaded Linux to it.
    Thanks,
    DJCulver

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Could be a memory problem causeing corruption of the install. You might try loading the OS's at default bios settings..

Or a problem with the disk formatting. If you previously formatted, you might need to repartition, then install 2003 on a NTFS partition then load linux and let the linux distro create additional partitions and format the remaining space, use ext2fs format for linux, that way you can use "paragon's ext2fs anywhere" to access your linux partition from 2003.

3. djculver

djculver Thread Starter

Thanks gotrootdude!
    Memory is exactly what it was at first. I checked the memory sticks and one was slightly loose. I re-seated it and the boot went farther. Then I took out the nic card and the boot went even farther. Finally, I took out the 2nd memory stick and was able to install Windows 2003 Server completely. It is now at the point where it identifies modems, cables, printers, nic's, other systems, etc. I am planning to put the nic card, and memory back in and a soon as I get my cables run and the hub, printer, and second computer set up, I am going to have it try and identify and install all hardware and peripherals.
    Thanks again,
    DJCulver

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice