1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 DNS only works sometimes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stech1, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stech1

stech1 Thread Starter

I am trying to install a Windows 2003 network at home. Before setting up the server, I was running a network with my DLink DI 604 Router acting as DHCP for my desktops. This worked fine.

When I installed the windows 2003 Server, I made it the DHCP and disabled DHCP on the D link Router. Here is the problem: I have access to some websites but others are unavailable. Yahoo.com is always there but sometimes a site like usatoday.com will be unreachable. Additionally, 3/4 of all sites that I look up in a google search are unreachable (but I can get to google and do a search with no problems.)

A strange error is that when I type in a website that is unreachable (like cbssportsline.com) I will get the msn search page that says that the website could not be found but it lists a link to the website. If I click the link, I still cannot reach the website.

At first I set the DNS server to be the Windows 2003 server (192.168.0.2) but when that didnt work I set the DNS server as my isp DNS Server and set the windows 2003 server as the alternate DNS Server. That didnt change anything. Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to set up port forwarding on the router to allow for your DNS server to be updated from the internet. Map port 53 from your external interface to the 192.168.0.2 address and it should work fine.

3. stech1

stech1 Thread Starter

Should I set the primary DNS as my Server and the alternate DNS as my ISP DNS server or vice versa?

The default gateway is set to the router.

Thanks for the help.

4. stech1

stech1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

What I did was set up forwarders on the server to point to the ISP DNS Server.

I got a killer cisco router config problem if you want to take a look in the networking forums.

Thanks again

5. 10forcash

10forcash

In a domain enviroment, your server should always be the primary DNS server, the router should point to your ISP DNS servers, this is to prevent your ISP attempting to (unsucessfuly) resolve local DNS queries, your local DNS will have no knowledge of anything outside of your domain and ( if configured correctly) forward any unresolved DNS queries to your ISP. The server should only list its own DNS, it's the routers task to list alternate DNS servers.
    Cheers,
    10forcash

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice