1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Windows 2003] File Sharing and Control permissions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crashzor, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crashzor

Crashzor Thread Starter

I'm Running a windows 2003 server ( standard edition ).
    installed
    AD(active Directory), DNS
    I'm now trying to share files using the network "tools" of Microsoft.
    So no Ftp server(s) or thinks like that just a simple left mouse and share.

The problem is:
    if i share a folder and i make a file using user account A and i want to over write it using user account B the client reply s saying there is a pad error.
    After same searching i found out that user B has no permission editing the file because its has only read permission on the file.
    But i want user A and B to overwrite the file and user C to only read it o and user D to only motive it without “full control”.
    The permissions on the folder are like that how do i say to my OS also put that rules on every file that i make on the machine.

The users is logged on to the computer using active directory only i don't know who to set it up in the way it needs to be is there a way to work around this problem.
    I wood like a relatively simple solution if there is 1
    if you need more information just ask i will post it then i hope you can get around using this information.

Thanks for the time reading this post and for replying whit a solution or not replying than thanks for reading it anyway.
    Friendly greetings,
    Crashzor

( hope this is the right sub forum I'm not totally sure because there is no windows 2003 sub forum )

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I have never heard of a pad error? What is this is this a client using taskpad to write to a file? What application are you using to try and write to the share?

This is probably the origination of the above Pad error if the user is trying to save to the share that they do not have access to.

Here is a link for file permission on Windows 2003 you have to at least grant them the proper rights to do what is needed.

http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/ntfs_and_share_permissions.shtml

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Share-Permissions.html

It sounds like A and B need at least read and write and modify, user C needs read only and user D might need just read and write but not modify. I am just guessing at your general description.

You can make it so you have the permissions on the root of C and then have everything inherit downward. THis is VERY risky though I suggest NOT doing this and applying it PER folder. What I do is insetead I make a single folder and I tell them this is the share and then let them MAKE subfolders and inherit it down that subfolders tree.

3. Crashzor

Crashzor Thread Starter

like i say'd above A and B have the full control over the folder but not over the file A created.
    i need to tell to OS to take over the folder rights on the new created file. ( the file A created ).
    i was using notepad on a XP machine.
    the point is dat a noob can creat a file and a other noob can edit it whitout me having to change the rights al the time.
    o and btw i know who rights work on windows 2003 its just the need to be taken over by the system on the file created by a user in the folder
    Greetings
    Crashzor

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Not to sound like a broken record but - make sure the rights are inherited and recursive on the folder... then all files and folders UNDER that folder in the tree that they make will get the same file rights as what is applied to that folder.

Not to be rude or nasty about it but I am not sure you do understand -

BTW this was taken straight from the W2K3 built in aclui.chm under C:\windows\Help that reffers to setting permissions and how it all works. You may want to look at this document and see if this answers anything as well.

Hope this has given you a pointer in the right direction.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice