1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 server Admin Logon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Warezpuppy, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Warezpuppy

Warezpuppy Thread Starter

Hi, A friend has installed Windows 2003 and when the computer boots he is prompted to hold down the Control+Alt+Delete as a security feature before entering The Log On password. I would like to know if a password was not set upon installation if the prompt would still appear ? Also I would like to know if this feature can be bypassed somewhere in the settings.

2. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

I have to ask... why would you not want to use this security feature?

3. Warezpuppy

Because he doesn't need to

4. Warezpuppy

Now that your question is answered can you help with my question ..... maybe an answer ;)

5. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

No matter what the situation, i would advise against not having any initial windows security on a server. Especially if its going to be connected to a network, be it private or public.
    However the shortest answer to your question i can give would be, i have never had anyone ask or anyone have a need for it to be removed, nor have i ever been told there is anyway to remove it from a server 2003 install.
    So the answer is simply, i dont think you can remove it. However should i be wrong, id like to know the answer of how to do it for curiosity sake.

6. Warezpuppy

Thanks for your reply I'll get back to you, I've just been told there is an option in TuneUp Utilities to remove it but that isn't what I'm looking for... maybe a script in GPO or just a setting in the system itself. BTW it is being used as a gaming server small time so the log on security isn't vital.

7. Warezpuppy

This bypasses the feature, you said you would be curious to see "so here it is ...!"

Code:
    [SIZE="2"]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "DefaultUserName"="Administrator"
    "DefaultPassword"=""
    "AutoAdminLogon"="1"[/SIZE]
    THANKS Anyway :)

8. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Thanx for letting me know...
    glad you found it out too..

cheers

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice