Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 2003 Server and Norton Ghost 2003 problem (long)

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  gopepsi 
#1 ·
Here's the situation...Every week I ghost copies of our servers. Two Windows 2000 servers and two Windows 2003 servers. Each server has one Western Digital 80GB ide hard drive in a hard drive rack and there is one open rack for inserting the backup hard drives.

I use ghost 2003 on floppies, each is configured to run the ghost backup automatically. When I am ready to ghost, I insert the backup drive, insert the floppy disk and start the server. Ghost loads, backups the drive, and says ghosting is complete. I take the main drive out and replace it with the ghosted copy. The ghost copies for 2000 and 2003 boot up fine, no problems.

(FINALLY TO THE PROBLEM)

When I remove the Ghost copies and reinsert the main drives, the 2003 servers will not boot, but the 2000 servers do. This doesn't happen every week, and sometimes one 2003 server will work and the other won't. When they don't work, the servers post but for some reason don't see the hard drive (this is not the ghost copy). On one of the 2003 servers, I have figured out the problem. When the server won't read the hard drive, I would pull out the drive and reinsert it, fixing the problem.

Recenctly, the other 2003 server wouldn't boot the main drive after it was ghosted. I thought maybe the hard drive bay was bad, so I switched the hard drive out with a spare bay. Reinserted it in the rack and the server still couldn't find the hard drive during boot. If I stick the ghost copy back in, it boots up without a hitch.

Is it possible for ghost to destroy a hard drive like that?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.