1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 Server printing issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NHLzombie, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NHLzombie

NHLzombie Thread Starter

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Server working as the new print server in my NT4 domain. It has dual Xeon 2.8 GHz, 1 GB ram, 3 ea Intel Server adapters in a load balancing team. It is running Symantec Corp. Anti-virus ver 8.0, and is current with MS updates.

I have 26 printer ports set up on it, including Canon, HP, Lexmark, and Ricoh. All are using TCP/IP as the printing protocol. All have the latest drivers, and flat shares for other Windows clients are also installed.

Several times a day (no pattern to when), the printers seem to freeze up. Print jobs still come into the server’s spooler, but they stop printing to the printer itself. The services are not stopped, but if I stop and restart the Print Spooler service and dependant services (Canon NetSpot Suite Service and TCP/IP Print Server), printing resumes as normal.

I have tried recreating the ports, reinstalling the drivers on the server, flashing the firmware on the printers, reinstalling the printers on the workstations, cold booting the printers, excluding the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool folder from any anti-virus scans, etc.

2. BigTex

BigTex

I've had a similar problem, I'd just reboot the server and all is well.

3. insilico

insilico

Zombie

Did you figure out what was causing your printing problem? I'm having the same issues with two new 2003 print servers I've installed. Any light you can shed on this issue would be appreciated.

thanks

J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/191084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice