1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aakasha, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aakasha

aakasha Thread Starter

How do I connect via RDC to a windows 2003 server machine. I have tried everything and cannot connect to the machine. Terminal services is running and the RDC service is running. Help!!!

2. Geek1981

Geek1981

Go to My Computer and right click and choose Properties. Go to the Remote tab and ensure Allow Users to connect remotely to this computer. Ensure the users listed in the users tab are the ones you are trying to log on with. Any member of the administrators group will work.

Cheers
    Geek1981

3. aakasha

aakasha Thread Starter

There is no remote tab under my computer. Any other suggestions....

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's put this in the correct forum anyway, even though I don't know the answer. :)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Who configured the server. I just check two and they both have Remote when you right click on My Computer and select properties. Didn't do anything special with them.

6. aakasha

aakasha Thread Starter

Is there another way to make it possible to connect via remote desktop connetcion?

7. loudman

loudman

I too would am interested in an answer for this problem. We used to be able to connect to all four of our servers remotely, but about 3 months ago the remote desktop connection stopped working. Get a message about not having permission to access terminal services (while logging on as administrator). Don't have access to it at the moment so can't give the exact message.
    Its not a major problem because we don't need to log into the server too often and can access it directly when we need to, its just a bit of an inconvenience.

8. halchris

halchris

log onto the local machine and run these two commands from the command line:

To Allow remote login to the server via RDP
    reg add "\\ServerName\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

Allows Browsing using the terminal services manager to manage the server
    reg add "\\ServerName\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v TSAdvertise /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f

I have a slightly different issue, these settings are enabled and I can remote desktop to localhost but not from external sources. There is nothing blocking access, like a FW or ACL. We are working to try and get access to the server locally to install some sort of network sniffing software.

9. bizzt

bizzt

Is this a domain Controller?
    Log onto the Box Locally and go to Administrative Tools-->Terminal Services Config-->and Hilight Connections on the left Side. right click on RDP-TCP and select properties... Add the appropriate Security

10. halchris

halchris

Well, this is not a DC, and it won't even allow the connection to be established. We can log on locally and launch MSTSC /v localhost and the connection sets up correctly with no issues. I made a suggestion that it may be a bad NIC, but this is the same on 6 identical servers in the same subnet.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice