1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2003 Small Business Server replacement project

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Johnny5, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

I support a small office with a single server that needs replacing.

I am wondering the best method to use to replace a single production server running SBS 2003 Premium with a new single SBS 2003 R2 Std server without losing AD, Exchange and Data directories.

I am looking at replacing the Windows 2003 Small Business Server Premium Edition system with a new server, all new hardware for upgraded power and capacity, and changing the OS from SBS Premium to SBS Standard R2. The Original Premium installation is corrupted and has been "repaired" with a repair install. I only want to make sure that Active Directory and Exchange and the data directories are moved properly to the new server with no data loss and minimal downtime. Exchange and AD have a lot of information in them (thousands of contacts, hundreds of email addresses, etc).

Ultimately I want the new server to look pretty much exactly the same as the old one, just more reliable and powerful. The IP needs to be the same eventually and the server and domain name has to be the same as well.

Is there a guide to doing this or can anyone give me a roadmap? As I understand SBS I would not be able to install this alongside it in the domain and replicate data between Domain Controllers...is that correct? If so what other ways are there to make sure this is successful?

Thanks for any help,
    j5

2. jmwills

jmwills

There should be a "White paper" on this subjecft within the SBS site within Microsoft. I would think this would be a simple matter of an AD migration along with Exchange. Intense but not impossible.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    One thing you can do is set up the NEW server with a different local IP on the same subnet. Instal Active Directly and synchronize the two servers. Of course, any data on the server will have to be manually copied to the new one, DHCP will have to be set up, and so on.

4. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

Can that be done with SBS though? I havent tried running 2 SBS servers on the same domain but I thought I had read that they didnt allow that with SBS.

5. jmwills

jmwills

You can run two servers in the same domain for about a week, I think it is. This exercise is the reason it is allowed.

6. chrisr01

chrisr01

JMWILLS can you email me i would like to further discuss this

thanks,

7. jmwills

jmwills

Will do, but later.

8. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

I am currently going through this project right now, using the swing migration kit at sbsmigration.com. Following the instructions carefully, it seems to be going well. This is the process that Microsoft Partner Support recommended to me.

9. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

10. jmwills

jmwills

I have never actually done this but do remember this as part of a Seminar when 2003 first came out and a lot of people were trying to upgrade from 2000 to 2003. The point always stuck with me that you could run both boxes for a period of about 7-10 days and then the oldest one would shut down.

11. Johnny5

Johnny5 Thread Starter

Migration complete, thanks to sbsmigration.com!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice