1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2K Folder View disappeared!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nicki B, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

:confused:

For some unknown reason ALL of my desktop folders - and subfolders have changed the view to just icons - no toolbar or web address bar at the top! I have tried everything - and our local tech person did too - but nothing will change this view! Properties, customize folder view, folders in control panels, etc., the view *looks* like it is correct when you try to customize it (even before doing anything), but when you click apply/ok, it is still just the icons with no toolbar at the top.

Help! I have absolutely no idea what caused this - this PC is only about 3 weeks old and was running fine and then all of a sudden this happened.

Thanks,
    Nicki B.

2. angel

angel

If you right-click on the toolbar (or at least where they should be!), can you select the toolbars you are missing? If not, can you please provide a screen shot?

3. rude

rude

Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom then just follow along
    If this doesn't work try this:
    By default, Windows XP will remember the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders. After that, XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder, and its view setting will be lost. The information is stored in the registry by two keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

These keys can be modified to make XP remember more folder settings.

Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools--Folder Options--View--Advanced Settings. Ensure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

Open Regedit and go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. Right-click on "Shell", then follow to New--Key--DWORD Value. Name this item "BagMRU Size" (without quotation marks, but with a space between BagMRU and Size). Double-click BagMRU Size, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.

Now go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam. Create another BagMRU Size DWORD Value for "ShellNoRoam". Again, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.

You will have two "BagMRU Size" values equal to 0x000007d0 (2000).

Close the registry and reboot.
    Windows XP will now remember 2000 folder view settings instead of 400

You could also try higher values if you are a power user, I use 8000 instead of 2000.

4. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

Hi Angel,

No, when I right-click where the toolbar used to be, nothing happens. How do I provide a screen shot on this forum? Thanks.

5. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

Rude - I was afraid to try your suggestion because I am using Windows 2K, not XP. Any other suggestions for 2K? Thanks.

6. rude

rude

I'll look around for you but in the mean time try this:eek:pen anything from the start menu,as soon as it opens hit the F11 button.

Tell me what happens.

7. rude

rude

Ok,as to the "SFC /scannow" suggestion,it's the same,just have the win 2000 cd handy

The reg hack is the same also

8. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

Rude,

I tried the F11 suggestion, the SFC /scannow and the regedit procedure - nothing worked! Any other ideas? Thanks for trying!

9. rude

rude

Now for the screenshot,find what you want to take a screenshot of,
    1)Hit Alt and PrtScrn on your keyboard at the same time.
    2)Open Paint
    3)On the Edit menu click Paste
    4)On the file menu click Save-save to a location of your choice
    5)Paste screenshot here

10. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

Rude,

I hope the attachment goes through . . . Thanks, Nicki

Attached Files:

11. rude

rude

12. Nicki B

Nicki B Thread Starter

:) ;) (y) :p

Rude - you are AWESOME! That did it! How did you know to do that? I am SO HAPPY - - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

13. rude

rude

You are very welcome,I appreciate your comment and i'm glad you got it sorted out.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice