1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2k not recognize slave drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BigEngelkes, Jul 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigEngelkes

BigEngelkes Thread Starter

I have recently installed Windows 2000 on a new hard drive that I got. Finally, I have installed all my programs and the computer is working great. Recently, My friends computer crashed being unable to boot in to Windows, and needing to be re-formatted. I want to place his hard drive in my machine as a slave, and copy some files for him onto my drive, or else his files will all be lost. Windows 2k does not recognize the slave drive on start up, and I do not receive a drive letter for it. I set my friends drive to slave properly, and am sure that the connections are secure. Do you have any ideas, of how to get Win 2k to recognize the slave drive, Thanks,

2. Lkng4you

Lkng4you

Are both you and your friend using Windows 2000? Or just one of you?

Randal
    [email protected]

3. BigEngelkes

The slave drive is running Windows ME, but I don't think that should matter, since it is just a slave, and I only want access to the files, not for it to load?

4. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Dose the Bios find the slave drive?

5. BigEngelkes

I don't believe that the bios detects the slave drive, I have both the power cord and connection cord firmly attached, any suggestions?

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would try it as a master and see if the drive is Ok. In other words, disconnect your current drive and temporarily attach the other as the master to make sure it works there. That way you know the drive is OK because it might just be the drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice