1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 10gb ram 5.99gb usable?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by monkeyDLuffyPK, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monkeyDLuffyPK

monkeyDLuffyPK Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just installed more ram for my computer, i was running with 8bg total with 4 2bg sticks and i had some troubles with my first ram slot not working correctly so i switched to 2 4bg sticks a 2bg stick in the three remaining. after checking my ram available it is showing 5.99gb available. Just wondering if there is some tips as to why this might be happening? my bios hasnt been updated since 2009 and is a ASUS P7P55 LX.

Edit: my mother board is a ASUS P7P55 lx sorry.

2. pip22

pip22

You haven't said, but I have to assume you're running 64-bit Windows with that much RAM installed - right?

If it is 64-bit then indeed Windows should be reporting 10GB for both installed and usable values.
    On some systems, when using RAM modules of different capacities, you have to be careful which slots you use for which modules, otherwise the reported total will be incorrect.

Apart from that, the only other possibility (that I can come up with at any rate) is that one of the 4GB modules is faulty (if one the 4GB sticks was faulty and not registering, that would leave 4GB + 2GB = 6GB).

Double-check that all modules are pushed fully home (be aware of static). then run a memory test with memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/
    It runs from a bootable CD so the fact you're using 64-bit Windows is irrelevant as far as memtest86 is concerned.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Definitely test the sticks. But Windows is strange on the way it assigns graphics memory. I haven't seen the pattern yet.

In any case, unless you use RAM drives, or more than one VM at a time, your system will never use more than about 2.5 GB's of RAM, so you have a great deal more than enough. You may even find you want to reduce the amount to speed things up, like the slow boot and hibernation.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the ASUS P7P55 LX motherboard.

Attached is a copy of the memory module support list.

Attached Files:

5. monkeyDLuffyPK

monkeyDLuffyPK Thread Starter

Cheers guys, despite my efforts of making sure all the modules were indeed put in correctly it seems that it was about 1mm or less out of its correct position. its now reporting full 10gb. Thanks for all the help and im sorry for such a stupid question and simple fix -.- Thanks for your time

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no such thing as a "stupid question" here. That's how we learn.

Glad you got the problem resolved. :) (y)

------------------------------------------------------

You may get better performance by having matching 2 GB modules in all 4 slots instead of having a 2 GB module in 3 slots and a 4 GB module in the 4th slot. Elvandil can correct me if I'm wrong.

8 GB is PLENTY anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That was lucky. Good job.

Remember that if your machine is too slow, cut back on the RAM. Some boards also use an alternative addressing system for large amounts of RAM and that can slow things, too.

Happy computing. [​IMG]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice