1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 32 bit pc restarts when connected to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mojo13, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo13

mojo13 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have a very peculiar problem with a new installation of Windows 7 32-bit.

This is a fresh install of windows with all updates installed and I've tried various things.

As soon as the pc connects to the internet (via ethernet cable or via a wireless usb card) it hard resets without an error page.

Nothing is written to the event log, there are no blue screens and I've disabled the automatic restart on error from the recovery settings.

I can connect to the local network without issue but going online causes restarts.

The peculiar thing is that if I boot into Safe mode with networking the PC connects to the Internet just fine.

I tried selective startup removing all non Microsoft stuff, no luck.

I've run a whole load of scanners and security tools and they've found nothing.

I've uninstalled AVG as that caused issues on another pc, no difference.

I also unistalled KB2952664 as suggested somewhere else but no luck.

I also tried installing a new network driver but no difference.

Is there anything someone would suggest or should I just install windows all over again?

Many thanks!

2. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

First Name:
    Damienne
    Did you try unchecking "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the control panel?

Go to control panel/system and security/system/device manager.
    Click on "network adapters" in the box.
    Double click each network adapter.Then click the "power management" tab.
    Be sure that "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked in each one.

It would also be nice if you could post your full computer spec's. (make/model..etc)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice