1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 64 bit freezes after few minutes. Explorer hangs and then freezes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghera2711, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghera2711

ghera2711 Thread Starter

Hi to everybody. I have read tons of forums about this issue and I tried to do what advised, but I couldn't solve this issu with my PC.
    I upgraded my system 1 month ago, but I didn't achieve a stable configuration. New componets are MB, CPU, RAM and SSHD. I have suspects on PSU even nominal power should be ok.

---PC Configuration:

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-4770K
    Asus Z87-K
    KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) Memory
    Ati Radeon HD5850
    Crucial MX100 2.5" 256GB SATA III Solid State Drive
    PSU Modular Power Supply ATX 700W
    keyboard logithech usb wireless
    mouse advent wireless

---Symptoms:

Immediately after the boot, the graphic card fan starts increasing speed and then the system freezes. If I disable and re-enable the graphic card, fan stops overunning immediately and run normally; the system freezes later, randomly.
    After 3-4 hard resets, the system asks me to restore the system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

After downgrading the graphic drivers, the system appeared stable for some days. But now it started again freezing in a different way: rather than increasing the card's fan speed, the graphic card starts flickering. It stops if I disable and re-enable the graphic card, but it starts again after few minutes and the system freezes.

Freezing mechanism: explorer stops responding, but the mouse pointer is still working. After 20-30 seconds mouse freezes as well. It happens randomly in idle state, using google chrome or playing videogames or in sleeping mode (it won't re-starts and it needs an hard reset)

---Attempts:

RAM voltage increased to 1.6V from 1.5V defalut.
    RAM timing decreased to 9 9 9
    RAm freq decreased to 1600
    -->Apparently these changes worked but only for few days<--
    memory test with no problem
    system restore several times
    video drivers uninstall and reinstall (including downgrade)
    In safe mode the system seems to be stable
    I have uninstalled completely video drivers, working with default drivers. It freeses again.
    I have tried to stop services, but I din't have time: the system froze too quickly.

---Next attempts:
    clean/diagnostic boot
    Run Check Disk
    fresh windows installation

Any other advice?

Thank you

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Unless the new hardware you fitted is almost identical to the old, which I doubt, you should do a clean install of Windows. The main reason is the drivers from the old stuff are still around and are messing things up.

EDIT : and welcome to TSG.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice