1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 64 bit "Very Slow Boot"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IamHandicapped, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IamHandicapped

IamHandicapped Thread Starter

My computer originally came(in 2007) with Windows Vista 32 bit installed. It ran very will with no problems. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit in May of 2010. I wanted to take advantage of more memory so I decided to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. Before installing the 64 bit Windows 7, I installed the new memory (8 GB corsair xms2), and ran memory check to verify that the new memory was OK. At this point I was still running Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. When I would boot, it would only take a couple of minutes from turn on to full desktop. To get from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 I did the clean install. From then on - every time I boot or restart - the boot process takes about 9.5 to 10 minutes. The hard drive sounds idle most of the time. I installed new drivers, especially those that were unique to 64 bit. Before I reinstalled any of my prior programs the slow boot process was the same as after I renstalled some programs. I have not reinstalled many programs because of my slow boot problem, but they do not seem to add to the slow boot time. I downloaded a beta program called "Soluto" from PCWorld that times each individual boot process. It shows the windows boot processes as being very slow. For example, just the "System" process takes 95.5 seconds - a minute and a half. The csrss.exe - 41 seconds. The various svchost processes combined take over a minute, and on and on. I am at a loss as to how to fix this. My assumption was that switching to 64 bt was going to make my computer faster. Once it finally boots up, it seems to run fine. I have installed the 64 bit version three times now, using the clean install, hoping to clean out whatever is wrong. No luck.
    I would appreciate any help in solving this. Because of my handicap I have to get help to do anything with disks. Thank You.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Does this happen in Safe Mode?
    Open the troubleshooter in Control Panel and search on "Slow boot" to run the system config program.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What drivers--particularly the chipset--are you using? The ones Windows installed? The Windows 64-bit ones from the PC manufacturer's site? The Vista 64-bit ones from the PC manufacturer's site?

When you purchase a PC with a 64-bit Windows pre-installed it works fine. Clearly they have tested the system (in particular, the drivers) that way. When you purchase one with a 32-bit system pre-installed upgrading to 64-bit is a gamble.

4. IamHandicapped

To Hughv,
    Yes, it does the same thing in Safe Mode. I am wondering if I have a BIOS problem or registry problems.
    Thanks

5. IamHandicapped

I have a Intel motherboard - P35 ATX, DDR2,1333MHZ FSB, RAID DP35DP. I went to the Intel site and downloaded Windows 7 64 bit drivers.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice