1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 64bit to 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by baldduck, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baldduck

baldduck Thread Starter

Last year our local 'pc doctor' upgraded my Vista operating system with windows 7 64bit,because I was having big crash problems running video editing programs, but this 64bit version of windows causes problems with several bespoke programs eg Adobe who have not written drivers for 64bit operating systems. my question is can I load Windows 7 32bit operating system over the 64bit?

2. pillainp

pillainp

Yes, you can.

However since you are going from 64 to 32-bit, you will not be able to do an upgrade install. You will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7.

Before you install 7, please make sure you make a complete backup of all the files you will need. Copy them to a hard disk or partition other than the one where you intend to install WIndows 7.

I would advise you to try out Windows 7 64-bit, as it is much stabler than Vista 64, and there is pretty good driver support built into 7.

With your hardware, Windows 7 64-bit will run extremely well.

3. baldduck

baldduck Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information, you are the first person that has given precise and constructive information.
    What suprises me is that proprietrory software suppliers are very slow to write their programs for 64 bit operating systems

4. pillainp

pillainp

Here's the Windows 7 FAQ from Microsoft, and the Windows 7 Home Page

It is my understanding that Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate Editions (one of which will be your best choice: I would suggest Home Premium unless you have specific requirements that will only be met by one of the other editions) come with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's in the retail package.

You can therefore try out either version, and if you should dislike it, install the other.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Which programs are you referring to? My Windows 7 64bit is running Adobe Photo Elements 7, Reader 9.3 and Flash without problems. But I did remove Reader and replaced it with Foxit simply because it is smaller and faster.

6. pillainp

pillainp

Most 32-bit software should work quite well with a 64-bit OS. Some rare applications may run into problems related to memory addressing.

Some older programs may also fail to work as they do not conform to Windows 7's new security and hardware access rules.

Where 64-bit has a real problem however, is that several hardware manufacturers still have not produced device drivers that conform to 7's driver model, and some of them still have no drivers for 64-bit.

Most hardware that is less than 10 years old should work fine, and so should most software.

If you face any trouble during your upgrade to Windows 7, I am sure the fine folks of this forum will be able to help you find a solution.

7. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

to answer that NO.
    You can have both x64 and x86 installed on the same computer, but NO you can not load over.
    You need to make a new clean partition... you then need a x86 version of Windows 7 the same version as your x64. REASON WHY: the key for x64 is the same as x86. as long as both are HomePremium or Home or Ultimate.

1. Boot to the media - chose custom -> make sure you install on the NEW CLEAN Partition and insert the KEY when ask. You will then have both versions x86 and x64 on your computer and have the ability to chose which version you want to use.... This is called Dual Booting. remember also the last version installed will be the normal default into which you will boot unless you chose differently. Both choices will be called Windows 7.
    2. Later if you want to remove one version or the other it is possible only more detailed on exactly how to do... all 100% legit and described by MS on How to.
    3. This is all assuming that you have a LEGIT version of Windows 7, and your "pc-doctor" gave you the proper DVD disks and documentation

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice