1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 64x BSOD or freeze on return from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WiredWriter, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WiredWriter

WiredWriter Thread Starter

Since a couple of weeks ago whenever I put my computer to sleep it would sleep fine, but then when it resumed it would bluescreen. I had windows check for an update to the video driver as someone suggested, and it installed an older one! This just caused it to freeze when it resumed. I looked at the minidumps from the BSOD's and found ntoskrnl.exe to be the cause of a few of them. An extensive search said that it may be my keyboard. I slept it and then removed my keyboard and resumed, still broken. It also suggested running the repair tool on the windows 7 disk, however windows 7 came preinstalled on my computer, so i didn't have a disk. Finally, it told me to run a command line thing, which I cant remember exactly what it was, but it was something like dskchecker -energy or something. This didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. after all of that, I have come here in hopes that someone would be able to help.

I have attached my minidump folder in a rar.

Specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3686 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 459849 MB, Free - 198644 MB; D: Total - 16987 MB, Free - 2121 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AD3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I'm kind of a newb in these sort of things, so any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

If you provide the minidump as a .zip, I can help you.

RF123

3. WiredWriter

Alright, sorry here ya go

Attached Files:

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks, I'll analyze it later today.

RF123

5. WiredWriter

Hey, I don't know whether I should make a new thread for this or what, but all of the information is on this.
    Same issues as above, Sleeping returns to black screen and I have to force it off by holding the power button to get it to restart. This also happens each time I hibernate as well now. When I restart after hibernating, it tells me that it failed to resume, and asks if I want to delete the hibernate data and just start it up again, or retry the resume. If I try to resume again, same thing happens. I have no new minidumps as it just dosent resume, however the ones that I had are still earlier in the thread.
    Any help is appreciated, however if the only answer is restoring, unless its a major problem, I would rather not lose everything on my computer.
    Also, I may be a while to respond, as school and other things can get in the way. Thanks in advance.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Disable hibernation to clear hiberfil.sys

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
    Reboot.

RF123

7. WiredWriter

I did that, and then re enabled it, but it still dosen't work. It didn't even get into hibernation, it just froze.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

WW:

How soon do you have your computer set to go into hibernation?

Did you shutdown the computer after turning off hibernation?

Be sure to take notes of the settings before the changes.
    After using the command prompt method to turn off hibernation, please turn off sleep & stand by
    control panel > upper right, set view to "large icons"
    Open Power options
    For each [ 2 or 3 most likely ] power profiles
    Left click "change plan settings"
    Left click "change advanced power settings"
    Be sure to check every heading & sub heading
    Be sure that everything is set to something other than hibernation, standby and sleep.

Shut down the computer.
    Boot to normal mode.
    Do any freezes appear?
    If not, return to power options
    Reset the options for the power profile that you use.
    Turn off the computer.
    Wait 2 minutes.
    Turn on the computer.
    Test.

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

I've used Windows Debugger to analyze the 9 minidumps you provided on 19 Jan 2013.

Multiple files are implicated.

I need to do some research.

In the meantime, please perform the steps I provided for disabling [ not using ] hibernation, sleep & stand by.
    RF123

Attached Files:

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

W W:
    At least 3 of the minidumps from the 19 Jan .zip implicate your HDD.

1. Backup all of your important data as soon as possible.
    I prefer disk cloning. I use a commercial program, Acronis True Image. I use the bootable form.
    I recently read about a program, which I think is free, Macrium.
    Please see: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1089205-copying-hard-drive.html
    Posts 4 - 10.

You will find multiple thread at forum.techguy.org regarding the merits of various backup strategies & programs.

I do not recommend the W7 backup utility because the files can not be easily accessed on a different computer. Disk cloning duplicates one hard disk drive to another HDD. Copying one's files to flash media and / or optical disks is another stragegy, but requires the user to re--install W7, drivers & programs. Copying data to flash media AND optical disks, redundancy, improves the chances that the data will be available.

After backing up your data, I suggest that you run atleast 1 diagnostic test on your HDD.

I am unfamilar with Pegatron brand motherboards. If your computer was built by a company such as Lenovo, HP, Dell, Toshiba, check with the manufacturer for a HDD diag.
    You can find diags for multiple HDD manufacturers at http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
    Link provided by dai, a member of this forum.

RF123

12. WiredWriter

Thank you for all of your help. Unfortunately at this time I have to go to school, but I have made a windows restore point and have installed macrium as it is free. I'm going to keep my computer off until I get back, as this seems the safest. Again, thanks for the help.

13. WiredWriter

Alright, so I have checked it with the hp support assistant. It says that the SMART test passed. I am going to try turning off sleep and hibernation ect. again. I have no idea weather my hardware is still good, but it passed the SMART test thing, and various other things while I was looking for that, so if you see anything else terribly wrong please tell me. Also, at the time of the bluescreens, I had my power button and keyboard sleep button make it sleep, however all of the timers were off. After that I changed the buttons to hibernate, as sleep was not working. This morning, I made sure that it was set to not automatically sleep or hibernate (I didn't see anything about standby, but I may have missed it). I now have my power button shut down and the keyboard button do nothing. The only timer on at the moment is monitor turn off at 15 minutes, and I assume this isn't a problem. If you need anymore information, please tell me. also, if you find another critical problem that I can verify is wrong, or can't verify, then I would most definatly restore or something. The point is that if just my sleep and Hibernation are broken, and not going to grow into anything more serious, then I would like to be able to find a fix rather than loosing all of my stuff.
    Also, sorry for the long responses, I just want to make sure everything you could need to know is known.

14. WiredWriter

One more thing, should I reenable the hibernation after I reboot, or just the power options/ sleep?

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

W W :
    You are very welcome.

A restore point provides no protection of your data. The system restore point is actually designed to NOT backup a user's data

The FIRST think I think you need to do is backup your data, before your HDD fails.

THEN, keep sleep, standby & hibernation off for a week, to test the system.
    It is difficult for me to read lengthy paragraphs. At least you use periods & have not adopted smart phone spelling. :)
    (y)

I agree.

I strongly suggest that in addition to running the SMART test that you run the diag from the HDD manufacturer.

Have you an HP computer? If so which model & model #?
    Best of success.

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice