Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thewolfe

I'm thinking about buying a PC, what should be considering, Windows 7, 8 or 10

valis

Myself? I'd go with 8.1 currently. I'm actually looking at a few laptops at the time, found some that fit my budget and needs, leaning towards the hp stream for $200. I don't game, work IT, and travel frequently, so I need something reliable, lightweight, and able to play with my companies infrastructure. Works great for me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm thinking about buying a PC, what should be considering, Windows 7, 8 or 10
Advise us how much computer knowledge you have and how long you've been using a particular Windows version.

Also advise us if you want a laptop or a desktop and what your primary uses for it will be.

Windows 8 and 10 are quite different and have a bigger learning curve than Windows XP and Vista and 7.

----------------------------------------------------------

if it was me, I would get the latest, which would be win8.1, add classic shell and upgrade just as soon as win10 is released. You never know what your future software needs will be and you may need something that will only run on the latest.

you can upgrade to win' 10 free with 7 or 8 ......... windows 7 is excellent............ people seems to be 50/50 on windows 8/8.1

thewolfe

I'm very proficient finding my way around a computer. Changing RAM, HD's trouble shooting stuff for my friends.

I have a Dell 580 desktop running Win7 - 64 bit, 8GB's RAM, Core i5.

My HD is about full and I'm thinking rather than wiping mine out and taking 4 or 5 days to get it back where I want it, I would buy a new one and use my old one until I got the new one just like I like it.

buy the larger harddrive and just clone the old to the new......

just reread the post.............you are talking about buying a new computer :eek:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm very proficient finding my way around a computer. Changing RAM, HD's trouble shooting stuff for my friends.

I have a Dell 580 desktop running Win7 - 64 bit, 8GB's RAM, Core i5.
(y)

My HD is about full
Go into the Recycle Bin properties, then change the custom size to 3% (in MB's) of the hard drive's capacity.

Go into System Protection, then configure the hard drive to use 3% of its capacity.

Use Temp File Cleaner By OldTimer (TFC.exe) to delete the temp file buildup.

After all 3 have been done, restart the computer.

That may reclaim sufficient free space for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

thewolfe

Thanks Flavallee,

I also used "WinDirStat" progie and saw I had a lot tied up in Win 8 iso's I created to use with VirtualBox. I deleted them and that helped also.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks Flavallee,

I also used "WinDirStat" progie and saw I had a lot tied up in Win 8 iso's I created to use with VirtualBox. I deleted them and that helped also.
:) (y)

thewolfe

Looking at a Dell that has Win 7 Pro & Win 8.1 Pro. How does that work? Are they both loaded on the computer?

TonyB25

Banned
Are you sure it's not Windows 7 installed with a free upgrade to 8.1? I've never heard of dell including 2 operating systems pre-installed on new computers.

You'll probably find it is licensed for Win 8.1 Pro which has downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro. Dell will have installed 7 on it and will either supply a set of Win 8.1 recovery discs, or give you the means to upgrade to 8.1 by running the built in recovery program, this may also then give you the option to restore to 7 if you don't like 8.1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online