1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 administrator problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harkasan, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harkasan

harkasan Thread Starter

hello all,

I just got a new computer out of the box with windows 7 home premium preinstalled. I have two problems.

1. I can't view all folders on my c: drive. when I try to click the box to disable read only, it tells me that I don't have administrator rights. I am the only one with a user account on this computer. I have read about a hidden administrator on windows 7, but haven't been able to find it with the instructions I've seen. can anyone help me with the admin rights on my computer please?

2. I had office 2010 starter edition installed on my computer and I bought and installed an office 2010 professional plus on this computer. problem was that it wouldn't associate any of the office documents with the office 2010 professional programs. I have a feeling this can be fixed if I can figure out the administrator issue.

can someone please point me in the right direction? I will gladly provide you with more info if this isn't enough.

thanks guys

2. Sponsor

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

DO NOT mess with system file attributes. All the files on C:\ are most definitely not read-only or the computer would cease to function. The coloring in the Read Only box indicates indexing is on, not that all the files are read-only. Leave the attributes as they are.

Describe the problem you're having with Office.

4. harkasan

harkasan Thread Starter

I don't see the "program files" folder on my c: drive. I want to know why it tells me I don't have administrator rights when I'm the only account on the computer

Office 2010 problem is that I can't get office to open a document by clicking on the file in a folder. When I open word/powerpoint and find the file through there, the document opens without any problems. I want to be able to open an office document by clicking on the file in a folder.

5. harkasan

harkasan Thread Starter

I know all files aren't read only as are folders. I don't see the "program files" folder".....I don't see where microsoft office has installed to.......I am trying to associate my powerpoint document with the actual program and because it is hidden in some folder I can't fix it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this your computer that you purchased? Have you actually verified that you're logged in with an account that has administrator rights? Is the only time you get the message about not having rights when you try to make a system change that could cause serious damage to your system?

Have you checked your Folder Options to verify that all hidden and protected system files are showing? Why do you need to browse Program Files?

Have you tried running a repair of Office? What exactly happens when you try to open a file? Do you get an error? What's the error?

7. harkasan

harkasan Thread Starter

Yes, this is a computer I bought. Brand new. I am the only one logged into the computer as an "Administrator." I have figured out the office 2010 issue. let's just chalk it up to unfamilarity with windows 7.

the administrator thing is the only issue left. thank you for telling me that I could do serious harm to my computer if I mess with things. I have played with computers long enough to know my limitations. the issue is that it tells me that I don't have administrator rights when I'm the only one that has an account on this computer (administrator or otherwise). if I'm the only one on the computer and I own the computer and should I feel the need to cause serious harm to my computer I want to know why I don't have administrator rights on certain things.

look...I'm not trying to mess around with my computer to screw it up. I just want to know why there are administrator issues when I'm supposed to be the "administrator." I'm the only user account, this is a new computer, and I own the computer.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What "administrator issues"? You were trying to change attributes on system files. You can't do that. What other activities are you doing that generate the message? Be specific?

9. Unitic

Unitic

I'm having the same issue and am just as frustrated. I can't move or delete some files or folders because it says I do not have permission. I think both of us need to know how to make sure we have administrative privileges, or gain privileges.

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There are two ways you might - just might - get around this. Press your Windows key and R together to bring up the Run open box and type in cmd thebn hit Enter to bring up the Command Prompt - C:> At the prompt, type net user Administrator then {yourusername} then {your password} and hit Enter.

Then type net user Administrator active:yes and hit Enter. Note the capital A is crucial. Restart into Safe Mode and the Administrator login should be on the Welcome Screen.

Alternatively, and again in the open box, type mmc and hit Enter. In the MMC form, right-click the Administrator account and select Properties then under the General tab, untick the Account is Disabled box. Close the console and restart the system and you should see the Administrator log in the Welcome Screen - even in Normal Mode.

Remember - do not use the Administrator account all the time, because your protection level is seriously diminished - any hacker who gets into that account can run riot and even the UAC can't protect you.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't use the built-in Administrator account but instead use an account with administrator rights, and I don't have any problems.

Either your account does not have admin rights (you can actually check this to verify) or there's some other system problem. Or you're trying to do something that would damage the OS. There hasn't been enough information provided to figure out what's really going on.

12. iluvtolaff

iluvtolaff

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

To verify that you are an admin, go to Control Panel > User Accounts. There you will see your account name, and underneath it, will be the word 'administrator'.

14. iluvtolaff

iluvtolaff

Thank you. It does say I'm the admin but that it is password protected. I don't use a password to sign on to the computer. I had changed that. Do I need to put it back the other way and, if so, how do I do that?

15. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

This actually raises an interesting point. It may be that Windows 7 - being mad keen on password protection - takes more notice of an account with Administrative status and a password than one with Administrative status with no password.

<DISCUSS>

16. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Unitic,
    What files and folders are you trying to move or delete?

If they are system files then you may NOT be able to.:(

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979521