1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7/Amiga 1200/Iomega Zip Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by theborg, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, Anyone out there remember the amiga 1200? you do then great how about the iomega zip drive? ok so far what i need is a cable to connect the zip drive to my windows 7 pc i have looked on the web there is a lot of info but no one gives you the type of cable i need any help would be welcome thx Mark.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Can you take a picture of the interface on the zip drive and post it to the thread, so we can try to figure out what sort interface is required?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    zip_drive_cable.jpg

DB25 male female data cable.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

Many thx for the fast reply in less than 10 minutes sorry for the delay i sent that message just before my night shift anyway i have sent you a picture of the back of the iomega hope that help thx p.s. on the bottom of the zip there is a model number it may help Z250S

Attached Files:

• zip.jpg
      zip.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
  6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

That's a parallel connection, as plodr outlined in her post. Most machines these days eschew parallel ports, since it's largely an almost-dead form of hardware.

You can still get parallel-port adapters, but I really doubt you'll find working software on Win 7 to access a ZIP drive in this manner. I have had to use USB-based ZIP drives which will work in Win 7x64, but I'm guessing this defeats the purpose of your question anyway.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I sold my zip drive and zip disks at least a decade ago - before I had Windows 7.

If you know someone with an older computer, they might be able to connect your drive, get the files off the zip disks so you can put them on USB devices, either sticks or a portable external hard drive.

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

There are USB ZIP drives still available, but I truly don't think they're worth the cost.

9. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

thanks lochlomonder and plodr for all your help looks like i have had some bad luck.

10. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome (y)

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

Hi, just had a crazy idea can you let me know if this will on windows 7 just found a parallel cable on EBAY if i but this what are the chances it will work i will then use the link plodr sent me or should i call it day and give up trying thx all

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you have the correct socket on the Computer to plug the cable into then you can try but you may find you need a driver and as I said in my previous post there may not be one for Windows 7.

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

I think I have a SCSI Zipp drive it the closet with the SCSI PCI interface card. I think the last time I used it was on a socket a AMD XP3200 Processor computer with XP. Man they want a lot for that old stuff on EBay!, Have to dig thru my stuff and sell some. They came with parallel port, SCSI or USB interfaces.

15. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

thx for the reply if i can find a driver for windows 7 i may give it a trey cheers

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice