1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 and Drivers for a Brother Printer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Davidlaw69, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidlaw69

Davidlaw69 Thread Starter

I just set up my new Dell with Windows 7. I connected it to my Brother MFC-8840D printer with a USB connection. Windows 7 recognized the printer and set it as default. But I cannot print anything. I called Brother, and the person said that the proper driver was in the computer. However, she then sent me an email which indicated that Brother does not offer a driver for this unit with Windows 7, but that an appropriate driver can be found on Windows Update. I had no success going to Windows Update. Does anyone have an idea (short of having to buy a new printer)?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd try to get clarification from the tech support person about getting a working driver via Windows Update, and why it didn't work for you.

If Brother has a Vista driver try that.

Or try the Vista or XP driver using the Troubleshoot Compatibility option (assuming you have a self-installing executable right click on it to get that option). You can spend the better part of an afternoon with the "recommended" settings, and with XP or Vista with various service pack levels. :) Oh, and sometimes this works. Start reading from post # 18 in this thread to see how this technique worked for some USB wireless adapters.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice