windows 7 and program files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clintonbrits

I've just upgraded to windows 7 32 bit from windows 98 and i installed an application that i made myself to edit my website.The location of the webpages is in the htdocs folder of the apache root folder in the program files folder. This obviously means that my program routinely modified files to the program files folder. The strange thing i can't explain is :

1.If you open a html document then it loads the document correctly.
2.When i edit the document and save it then it seems to save it and you can close and open with the changes being saved.
3.if i open the document in internet explorer to view the content then it loads the old document without the changes. If you open the source file in notepad then it loads the old content aswell!?
4.I though it might be using a different location but if you delete the source file and re-save it then it saves it to the correct place but again it just brings back the old document and my changes still don't show in the saved file but yet my application can load the changes! :confused:
5.If you delete the source file and then ask my application to load it it tells you that the document cannot be found but if it is there it loads from another file with a different version.

It seems like there are two folders for my documents but i can't find the other one nor can i imagine the reason for windows doing this.

Thanks in advance
Clinton Brits

clintonbrits

The program was designed on and for a windows xp sp2 system and so at that time there was no windows 7 to test on. I'm currently trying to get it working on windows 7 by running it in compatability for windows xp on the windows 7 operating system but i need to know the logic behind what windows is doing so that i can compensate for it in my code.

There is an option somewhere in the Windows 7 interface saying something like "Make a program compatible with Windows 7".

Are you using a new instance of your browser each time?

Try clearing cache etc... I would lean towards a development issue for the correct board on this one...

Programs are not allowed to write to System Folders any more. Data and configuration info should be stored in the User or Public Profile folders, not the Program Files folder.
By restricting programs from being able to write to system folders like Windows and Program Files, it makes the system more secure; malware can't infect a program if it can't write to that location.

I suspect you'll find the files are actually being saved here:
C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\<Application Name>

Applications that did not modify the file will be getting the original copy from the Program Files folder, but the app that edited the file will get the modified copy from the Virtual Store.

See these for more info on Folder Virtualization:
Common file and registry virtualization issues in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 (Scenario 2)
Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista (Search on Virtualization)
Determine How to Fix Applications That Are Not Windows 7 Compliant

antech

Banned
If it was specifically written for XP,
consider disabling the Desktop Composition in the Properties of the programs shortcut.
I have now replaced 7 with XP .OK?

DoubleHelix

Banned
If it was specifically written for 7,
consider disabling the Desktop Composition in the Properties of the programs shortcut
You need to re-read the poster's question. The poster wrote the application and is asking how to make changes so it is compatible with Windows 7.

TheOutcaste is very knowledgeable and has posted very helpful information.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online