1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 and Seagate Freeagent 320Gb external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LuS1fer, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

Following my old computer crash, I invested in a new Mesh computer loaded with Windows 7.

I bought a cradle for the old HDD and plugged that in and Windows 7 recognised it straight away and I can pull stuff off it without any difficulty.

The Seagate Freeagent (now called Classic I believe - the brown/yellow one) refused to come up as a drive and nothing I do will make it do so. I have downloaded the 64 bit Seagate Manager from the Seagate website but to no avail.

It appears as a device in the Devices but right-clicking only gives you two tabs, neither of which do anything. Updating the driver has no effect. The drivers still come up as Windows32 drivers. I even formatted the Freeagent but with the same result.

At one point, Windows 7 froze but disconnecting the Freeagent cured that.

Any ideas? Not being very computer savvy, I don't really understand why it recognises my old XP HDD but not the Freeagent.

2. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

I should say it's 64 bit Windows 7 but as I've underlined, this doesn't seem to affect it's ability to detect my old XP HDD although I haven't tried writing anything to my old drive and it deletes stuff OK and has transferred files OK to the new computer.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Win7 should recognize the Freeagent and be able to read and write to it without any additional software. You don't need the Seagate drive management software to make it work. Most likely explanation is a faulty drive. Try it with another computer and see what happens.

I sold several Freeagents, and I've mostly regretted it. In fact, I'm getting ready to RMA one drive for the second time. It worked for about 60 days, then quit. Now the replacement has died almost exactly one year later. To add insult to injury, Seagate wants to charge $20 for an advance replacement! On the positive side, they have a pretty quick turnaround on warranty service.

4. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

No, it worked fine on my XP machine and still workd fine on our Vista-equipped laptop. it seems to be something to do with the 64 bit format?

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

You say that it "still workd fine" on your Vista computer; do you mean it will work on that computer currently? I'm betting it won't. There is no file compatibility issue, and there isn't any special software needed for Win7 to read the drive. Really. I still sell lots of external drives (just not Freeagents) and the technology is strictly plug and play regardless of whether your Windows version is 32 or 64 bit.

6. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

It works fine on the laptop and is recognised as a drive. As a drive, you can right click and get into the security settings but because it is not recognised as a drive on Windows 7, you can't, the right click in devices (where it is recognised as a Freeagent) simply says "unavailable".

Now looking at the security tag on the laptop, it has group or user names as Authenticated Users; SYSTEM; Administrators and Users. I modified it to give full control to all of those and still nothing on Win7. Permissions are all on Allow for each.

As I've said, the old HDD in a cradle is plug and play so I'm foxed especially as Seagate claim it's compatible.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

OK, we're miscommunicating, and I'm sorry that I failed to make myself more clear. When I asked if the drive was working with your laptop, I was wondering if it was possible to write files to the drive or read existing files on the drive. You actually do get defective hardware that will show as a drive, but still not "work" in the sense that you can't read or write to the drive.

So, can you read or write to the drive at all? If you can't, but either of your older computers detects the drive, open the Computer Management snap in by by going to the Control Panel, opening Administrative Tools, then Computer Management, and click on Disk Management and see if your drive is reported, and what file system it is using. Can you format the drive?

8. LuS1fer

LuS1fer Thread Starter

Hi again,
    The drive was functioning perfectly prior to my old computer crashing. Since then, I have transferred files off the drive to a memory stick. I then formatted the drive just in case there was something on there tied to my last computer.

I have just reconnected it to the laptop and the drive is not only recognised but I can freely write files to it.

I found the Seagate temp and renamed it Seagate backup and then downloaded the zip folder from the Seagate site which alleges it makes the drive 32 and 64 bit compliant. I have followed all instructions so I now have a new seagate temp file with all the updated software. Still nothing.

I have been into Disk Management and it only reports the main hard drive and CD ROM.

It is reported in the Device Manager as a Disk Drive but when you click on that, it doesn't give any details and the Seagate manager I downloaded reports no available space (though it's empty).

The drivers are reported as C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\disk.sys and prtmgr.sys. There is an option there to uninstall the drivers but I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good idea.

I should say that this problem is not unique to me and there have been various reported issues with the Freeagents, some of which have been resolved but I've tried as much as I can from those and there are several who still don't seem to have resolved it.

I've also tried unplugging it from the computer and the power supply and rebooting with and without it connected.

Anyway, it's late here in the UK so I'm going to have to abandon this for now. I really appreciate your input and even if it can't be resolved, thanks for your help. If worst comes to worst, I'll use my old HDD as a backup and use the Freeagent to back up the laptop or sell it or something. I suspect Seagate's "fix" doesn't actually work though or it requires something in Vista and XP that 7 doesn't have.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice