1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 and SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by System_Mechanic, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. System_Mechanic

System_Mechanic Thread Starter

Was i correct in understanding that if you use an SSD drive, Windows 7 will automatically shut off specific windows services such as defrag, superfetch...etc.?

Cause i got an Corsair Real ssd, the fastest in the world supposedly, install W7 and later realized Superfetch, defrag is running. I know i can manually shut them down, i just wanted to know why W7 did not do so itself? would this mean an error in W7 detecting my drive properly affecting Trim and garbage?

this quoted from msn blog

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. System_Mechanic

System_Mechanic Thread Starter

I still can't any specific info about TRIM and Garbage collection, would they still function ok?
    Hard to believe W7 been around this long and still have troubles detecting a simple SSD properly, bet it never gets fixed either.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's important to shut off those services one way or another if the OS doesn't do it for you. SSD's have a relatively short life compared to mechanical drives and each memory location has a limited number of writes before it fails. Anything that increases that rate, such as defragging, reduces the overall lifespan of the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice