1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 and xp on dual boot, constant booting win 7 problems?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bullet, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

so i have this very strange problem, that i've been dealing with for the past 2 months and finally decided to ask you guys to help me. thing is I got windows xp on drive c: installed on my laptop and when I bought this laptop i used partition magic and it gave me logical (extended) partition with the rest of space to install windows 7. I didn't have problems with my laptop for about a year then my vent started to really rattle and i have to smash laptop sometimes cause it just shuts down and im kinda afraid to replace it, however, i think this can't be problem to windows 7 not booting right?

past few day i've been going around in circles, i reinstalled windows 7 and chose option where old files are kept (wiundows.old), so never did reformat and I did like that a few times already and now lately everytime I installed my windows for like 2 days it would work then when i was installing programs (which i dont know if have anything to do with that since they never gave me problems) each time when i would boot it would go to startup repair and i ended up with a 'windows cannot repair this computer automatically' and always did reinstall with old files kept and still doing like that for fourth time i always get back to same state as before 'repair, cant repair, reinstall'i noticed though that last program i installed was 'freemake video converter' and then it always failed to boot again i dont know if thats the problem?

however, i let this program alone and decided to copy all my files to my desktop computer and reformat all partitions c: (xp) d:(win7) and unallocated and 100mb partition from xp and just do clean dual boot install, but my question is, will that fix the problem?

I do strongly hope that its not my hard disk failing, but it's strange, because xp always booted, never reinstalled it when i did 7, so im out of ideas :(

let me also mention that win7 partition was extended with partition magic and was never 'primary' but logical (extended) so maybe that's the problem? but then again, my desktop computer has everything installed same and it still works on that partition.

any ideas what is wrong here?

im really starting to give up on reainstalling and stuff, so i dont want to do it again after reformatting and doing clean installs, it took me days now to do that already.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Partition Magic is very old. It was never very good and it does not support Windows 7 new partition structures. It was a bad choice for a partitioner. I'm not sure how much of your problems are due to partitions, but an OS should always be installed on a primary partition. You should not have used an extended one, and frankly I'm surprised that 7 even installed there.

I'd go back and make the partition primary and reinstall 7 there.

[​IMG]
    Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
    [​IMG]

I would suggest that you not partition from Windows. That will require that a program execute a script on boot and introduces another whole layer of possible errors. The scripting is where Partition Magic made most of its mistakes and lost a lot of people a lot of data.

3. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

thanks a lot for your help, so basically it could be all due to windows being on extended partition? but why then my desktop computer works okay and its installed the same is a mystery for me 0.o

however, here's what i plan to do, delete all 4 partitions, format, partition disk so i can have separate windows xp, install xp and then windows 7, or is there a way to install 7 fisrt on c: and xp then on d: and still be able to choose which OS to load when starting windows? also is okay the whole process i plan to do (regarding deleting and formatting partitions)? i mean to do it by this guide http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html but if you have a better suggestion I'd greatly appreciate it.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you follow your plan, then 7 will create the boot menu for both when you install XP first. It won't work the other way around because XP doesn't recognize 7.

I'm not sure what the partitioning is doing, but you can't have the right partition type if it was created by Partition Magic. At least having everything set up as it should be will make further investigations easier, if there are any.

Keep in mind that drives in 7 and XP have no letter assigned to them until an OS boots. That means that XP can see its own drive as C: and the other as D:, and 7 can do the same thing - see its own drive as C: and the XP drive as D:. The letters are assigned in the registry of the OS that is running and not to the drives themselves. So you shouldn't use letters to identify them, either, so you don't end up formatting the wrong partition. Use position, contents, or size to be sure you are working on the right drive. Instead of saying "C:", it is better to say "the first partition" since another OS may call it something else.

Looks like a good tutorial. But basically, all you do is install one, then the other. :D When you make XP's partition, just leave the rest of the unallocated space as unallocated. Make the partition for 7 using 7's setup.

5. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

that means i have to install windows xp 1st or im not able to boot to windows 7, meaning have option to choose before loading OS.? ok got that one. i mean to delete and reformat partitions with windows 7 installer, is that ok? and then when i do delete you are saying i shoudln't format the whole unallocated space but just install xp and then 7 and windowses will format space themselves? hope i didnt mix this up

6. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

sorry i just saw that post where you gave me link to parted magic, so i should do all the deleting and partitioning space in two pieces (one for xp, other for win7) in the program? but how can i do it from windows? i have xp still installed and i can access it, but i dont think i'll be able to delete that partition if im running windows?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are starting from scratch with a clean drive, you don't need any partitioner. Just do it from setup. Create a partition for your XP in XP's setup and install (leaving the rest of the space unallocated). And then run 7's setup and create a new partition in the space for installing that.

If you want to delete any partitions, you can do that from either XP's or 7's setup, too.

8. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

okay then i understood everything correct. so no need for any partition program, ill just use setup's one. so i can take for example 10GB for xp and the rest 240gb from 250 gb drive will be unallocated and i choose win 7 to install there and it will make a new partition itself,? if not, how can i do it if i have to?

9. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

also will both partitions then be 'primary' themselves or i have to do something? cause i dont wanna end up having extended one again and then have problems with windows 7 like before

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, they will make primary partitions in setup. You should see easily what you need to do when you get to that page. You may have to click on "Advanced" options to get to some settings, but setup is pretty good at directing you to do what you need to do. Win 7 will obviously create the partition type that it needs.

11. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

okay, thanks a lot. i hope i do it all right and have no problems then. i'll report back how it goes :)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck. Always read everything on the screen during setup. It's there for a reason.

We'll be here if you need us.[​IMG]

13. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

alright. while i'm at it is there a way to somehow copy 100gb of files from one network group computer faster than it already is? it says still about 2 hours -.-

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes, I just use a portable drive if the copy looks like it will tie up the network for too long.

15. bullet

bullet Thread Starter

meaning like a external hard drive? either way, as I don't have that option now I'm again waiting today to copy all and then i start installing :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice