1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 asking me for permission or saying I do not have permission to make changes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by imonmywaydown, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imonmywaydown

imonmywaydown Thread Starter

A wire came loose in my laptop charger so I asked for a replacement, but the supplier was adamant that there was something wrong with the port in my laptop, not the charger (he was wrong), so they took it away to fix. Anyway, a member of their staff took my hard drive out to copy a couple of my files to a disk for me as I needed them asap and couldn't get my laptop charging. Apparently that's all they did.

Today I got my laptop back and things are not right. I am the administrator and there are no other user accounts on my computer. I am recognised as the administrator when I go on Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts. But now all of a sudden I can't access Music, Pictures, Videos or Documents from the start menu. It just does nothing and says nothing when I click on them. I went on 'Computer' and tried to access them from the 'Libraries' menu at the left side. It didn't let me and didn't come up with any error message. It also didn't let me see the properties of them or do any of the other right-click options. It was saying at the bottom that they were completely empty, so I just deleted them and thought I'd make new ones with the 'Create Library' option. But when I go on this it says "Unable to create the file 'New Library.library-ms' Access is denied". I tried to restore the four Libraries from my recycle bin. It came up with a message saying "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder". I clicked on continue, then a box popped up saying "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action". Permission off who?! It's MY computer!

When I located my files the long way (Computer - Windows (C:) - Users ... etc.), all my documents were read-only and had a padlock on their icons, so I changed that. It won't let me view my pictures (says I don't have the correct permissions to access the file location). I can copy and paste the pictures so that it will let me view the copies, but it says things like "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" for everything I try to do. It gives me the option to continue, but it's annoying me because I have to keep giving permission for things that it should just let me do.

Why don't I have permission to edit my Libraries and how can I get everything back the same as it was?

2. vicks

vicks

Hello and welcome to TSG forums.
    Sorry for your trouble.... but the site's rules include the following:

"Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed"

Under the circumstances, I suggest you contact the "service" people and ask for their assistance to solve your problem.\
    Sorry....
    Vicks

3. Lance1

Lance1

Hi Vicks. the posts problem isn't with passwords, it with permissions. As fare as I know there no rule that says we can't help with that is there?

Hello imonmywaydown and Welcome as well.

I suggest Taking ownership Download this little reg file and run it. It'll add take ownership to the right click options menu. You may need to restart. Now right click the problem file and take ownership. Post the results and we'll go from there.

4. imonmywaydown

imonmywaydown Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for your replies.

Lance, thank you! I decided to take ownership manually rather than downloading the file. I only did it for one file (out of hundreds) but this seemed to somehow resolve the problem for all of the files.

Before reading your suggestion, I managed to resolve the problem with the Libraries too, so I think everything is fixed now. I won't mark this as resolved just yet as I haven't checked everything. I'll do an update later.

Thanks again!

5. vicks

vicks

OOPS! My misunderstanding..... Thanks for the heads up..,,. :eek: (y)
    Vicks

6. Lance1

Lance1

You are most Welcome imonmywaydown.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice