1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Aug. Updates Warning!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobcat5536, Aug 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bobcat5536

bobcat5536 Thread Starter

I just received warning that Microsoft is blocking the August roll up updates if you are using Norton Security. If the August roll up update does not show up when you check for updates, DO NOT try to install it manually from the catalog because Norton will kill the update as it is installing and it will totally mess up your PC.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...tes-blocked-if-symantec-norton-avs-installed/

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I stopped using Symantec Norton and McAfee and Avast a long time ago because they're too intrusive and cause issues.
    Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use in Windows 7 because it's light-weight and doesn't cause issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. bobcat5536

Definitely causing some big issues in this case. If you are using Norton, a fix will be provided, just don't know when or how quick. If you are a Norton user, I would consider waiting for the Sept. roll up to catch up.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I haven't used Symantec Norton in several years, so none of my Windows 7 computers were affected.
    Both of the August 2019 updates installed fine in them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. bobcat5536

I know that Windows 10 kinda chokes on Norton, but the older systems have fared pretty well, up until now. I foresee possibly even more problems arising as EOL ( End Of Life ) nears for Windows 7.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 10's built-in antivirus app(Windows Defender Antivirus) should be used.
    Windows 10 doesn't do well in some computers when a third-party antivirus app(Norton, etc.) is used.

The official end-of-life for Windows 7 does indeed end in January 2020.
    However, its unofficial end-of-life may be able to be extended until October 2021.
    I'll find out for sure when I start testing it after February 2020 "patch Tuesday".

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Agreed.
    MSE worked very well on my Win7 computers and now that I started using a Win 10 computer, reviews seem even better on Win 10.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Win 19? :confused:

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Typo, should have been watching the keyboard better :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice