1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 b& xp dual boot and no boot device found error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by radio86, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radio86

radio86 Thread Starter

Hi there guys,

Originally i had windows 7 installed on my laptop and i had four partitions on my computer.

C - Windows 7 installed system,primary parition
    D - logical partition - where windows xp was installed
    E - logical parition - where my documents word files and so on
    K - 160gb for applications to be installed (primary partition, system)

i installed windows xp on drive D after formatting and everything was working but when i installed easybcd to add windows 7 to boot...i encountered a problem. I cannot have xp + win7 together in the boot due to windows xp installed on a logical partition and its boot file is in a unknown primary partition. I Decided to convert Drive K to Logical and Drive D(XP INSTALLED) to primary. After my computer restarted., it brought up a new error saying no boot device(S) FOUND...

i ran windows 7 setup cd to repair but no operating system was found....i ran cmd repair typed in bootrec.exe /scanos - it found windows 7 then i tried bootrec.exe /fixboot - not working, tried /rebuildmbr computer restarted but same error. I Ran windows XP CD it said no installation sources available/found that means no harddrive. however windows 7 setup repair option i saw all the drives but i can't install a freash copy of windows on any of partitions.

Can anyone help me with this problem. what i have done wrong and how can i fix a problem like this...

thanks in advance

Asad

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds to me that you now have no system (boot) partition. If you can't fix this (mark one of the partitions "system" or "boot") with the Windows 7 installation DVD or the XP installation CD use a bootable partitioning program, such as GParted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice