Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7 Backup Nightmare!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Noyb 
#1 ·
This scared the heck out of me! So much so, that I may never again use the Windows backup. I'm running Windows 7 x64 and last week created a disc image of my C drive just fine with the Windows 7 backup.It came out fine, but today, not even halfway through the backup, the progress meter turns red and freezes.

I then reboot and notice that my BIOS is not reading my second hard drive, the one with the partition on it that I was attempting to back up on. I played around with some things and eventually got it to boot again, then I tried creating another system image again and once again, everything froze up and again my BIOS would not boot my second hard drive.

Again I was able to play around with things and finally get the second hard drive it to show up in the boot. Now I don't dare touch Windows 7 backup until I investigate further. My first thought is that, how the heck could Windows Backup affect a hard drive from showing up in my boot?

Also, I did notice in "services" that the Windows Backup was not running and set on manual. I don't know if that could affect anything, but like I said, I'm a little gun shy about trying this again and looking into other backup options.

#4 ·
This is not an issue with WIndows Backup.

Repeated failure of BIOS detection indicates that you may have a failing hard drive.

I suggest you visit the manufacturer's website and donload and run their disc diagnostic utility.

Have you tried creating a backup on another drive or partition?

It is normal for Windows Backup Service to be set to start manually.

Edit: I see you are running Seagate drives. Download Seatools for WIndows from here and run the Short Self Tests and the SMART tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.