1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Backup Woes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Titor, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Titor

Titor Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I have a three drive setup in my computer. All drives are physical drives.

C:\ - 1TB, contains my operating system, files, programs, etc.
    D:\ - 1TB, backup files
    G:\ - 500GB, contains assorted other files

I want to run Windows backup to write backup files to D drive. However, the computer does not recognize it as a backup device. It recognized C and G but not D.

I used to be able to use it as a backup device until I had a run-in with my MBR. I eventually fixed the MBR, but it stopped recognizing it as backup device. I ended up reinstalling Windows for unrelated reasons, and it still doesn't recognize it. Is there a special flag that needs to be set for drives to be used as a backup?

In all other respects, the drive is perfect. I can move, read, write, whatever to it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A screen shot of the Disk Management window may help. Of course, we want in particular to see the info for the "D" drive.

TSG Posting a Screenshot (I find it easier to use the Snipping Tool to capture a screen shot of the window).

3. Titor

Titor Thread Starter

Sure. Here it is.

[​IMG]

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    First of all I do not like the Windows Backup program, I would get a REAL imaging program.
    There are several free and not free that have been suggested.
    I use True Image.

5. Titor

Titor Thread Starter

Do you know of any free software that does disk imaging?

I'm also interested in free software that makes incremental backups. (I think it would be cool if it backed up my documents to a ZIP file every month or so.) So if you have any suggestions let me know. :D

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My guess is that Windows will not use your "D" for backup because it is the System partition. Not sure that's logical, but since with Windows 7 the System partition is usually the Boot partition or a special ~100 MB partition I can imagine that somebody decided to disallow backups to the System partition.

7. Titor

Titor Thread Starter

This makes sense. Do you know how I can remove the System flag from the drive?

Edit: Oops. My BCD store is on D. I'm going to export it and reload it on C.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe with Disk Management. Probably with EASEUS Partition Master (free), and surely with GParted. (There are many alternates for those last two; those are the two I've used.)

Then you need to set the partition with Windows as the System and repair the Master Boot Manager (unless that BCD store export/reload does the job).

9. Titor

Titor Thread Starter

Hi, I moved my BCD store over to C:\. Apparently my system was booting from D: and this caused the Windows Backup system to disregard D: as a backup medium. It's logical, I suppose; they want you to backup to some medium other than your C:, for obvious reasons. How do I mark this thread as solved?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice