1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FOX45, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FOX45

FOX45 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    So, my computer is back to full working order, I had reformat, which took a along time because I needed to back up 500 gb, and then put that 500gb back into my system after the install. It fixed all the problems. The thing that probably messed it up was patching my nvidia card's driver so i could run physx through it and have my ati 5870 process all other graphic related features.
    However, i would like to try it again. I am currently running a system backup of my entire C drive, which is all of my computers data, I have no partition, just 1 giant 1.36 TB drive with 400 gb of used space. Needless to say it is taking a long time.
    My question, in the event that i screw up my computer again with the physx patch, will the backup file that Windows 7 backup is creating, restore it to the previous state I am currently in; no trace of anything I did after the backup? Or will it just overwrite anything that the backup has inside of it, so any new file that i create after the back up wont be deleted?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it is a full image backup, everything that is current with the machine when the backup is made will be restored. No changes made after the backup will be saved.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When you restore a system image, everything on that drive is erased.

From Help & Support:

4. FOX45

FOX45 Thread Starter

Ok why is it doing this?
    Last night my backup just stopped, at about 65-75%. It says that "The disk your backups are being saved on doesnt have enough free space." Which, isnt true. Because I still have 262 GB of free space on it. And the backup is already 300 GB, so it only needs another 150GB for everything to be backed up. Why is it doing that??

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you creating just a backup of files, or are you also including a system image?
    If just a backup, is the drive you are storing the backup on formatted FAT32? (Most externals come formatted that way)
    If so, you'll get that error if you have any files larger than 4 GB.

If you are backing up files and also a system image:
    If your installation is using 400 GB, and 300 of that is your data, the backup will need about 700 GB of space, as the data is being backed up twice; once as part of the system image, then separately as part of the file backup.
    The 300 GB is your files, and it knows it needs about 400 GB for the image, so 262 GB is not enough free space.

Also, how are you determining free space, by right clicking the drive and clicking properties, or highlighting everything, then right click | Properties?
    The latter will not include files the current account doesn't have permissions to read, such as restore points/shadow copies, which could be 150-300 GB on a 1 TB drive. I don't recall if restore points/shadow copies are included in the system image, so that might not be relevant though.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Sounds like your problem is that you have too much Data in your system partition.
    If you're using Imaging .. That can be a problem if you're only trying to Image the system.
    Imaging is not really good for backing up Data that can change often.

I only have to backup/recover just the system partition(s) using Imaging .. And they're small and quick.
    My Data partitions are not changed during a recovery of the system partition from an Image.
    The external must be formatted NTFS.
    What backup program are you using ???
    Does this make any sense to you ??

Attached Files:

• 333.gif
      333.gif
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  7. FOX45

FOX45 Thread Starter

I really just to make on entire image of my system, so in the event that I screw my computer up again, I can revert it back to exactly what i had right before the screwing up. AKA, after backing it up, I am going to patch it, so I should no within the hour after that whether it worked or not. No data will really be changed excluding the nvidia physx.
    Here is a picture of my drives, C being my main one with everything including the w7 install and my personal files, D being my external drive (which is NTFS). It is currently in the state where there is no backup image in the external drive.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the C drive has about 450 GB of used space. My external drive has 610 GB of free space. Backing up my entire C drive into an image would leave me with 160 GB of free space on my external drive, yes?

I am meerly creating one big image of my C drive, which should only be 450 GBs, not 700?

Here is what I have selected in the windows backup utility when I asks me what I want to back up, and I select "Let me choose what files to back up"
    [​IMG]
    Does having, "Back Up CairnisReed's Libraries" mean it is going to back up everything In C:\Users\CairnisReed, a 2nd time when I also have all of my C drive checked to be backed up??

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've never used W7 to back itself up.
    As near as I can figure .. there's two procedures ...
    Imaging ... or Backup user and system files
    I'm not sure which procedure you are using.

If it were me .. I'd rather try Macrium to make a backup Image.

I use Acronis and I would expect the Image size to be about 60>70% of the occupied space.

9. FOX45

FOX45 Thread Starter

I am using the windows System Imaging.

Will Acronis work the same way; create a huge image of my entire C drive, just restore to the image whenever I want, no trace of what happened after I created the image?

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes & Yes .. The only trace will be that you will still have the Backup Image file saved in your external.
    The recovered Partition(s) will be an Exact copy of the Original that was Imaged.

Same as Cloning .. But you're working To <> From an Image file saved in an external ... And you can specify which partition(s)

I've never used W7 or Macrium Imaging .. But I'm sure they'll do the same.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have never used the Windows backup either and I am wondering if it allows you to set compression and if yes did you? If not it may see the image file as bigger than the external drive as the image file displaces 1.36 TB and the drive is only 1 Tb. Again never having used it, or at least not since awful NT Backup in XP Pro, I haven't used it since.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You are creating a system image, which is everything on the drive. You are also creating a data file backup of the libraries, and everything on the C: drive (Excluding Program Files and Windows system folders), so you are backing everything up twice. Possibly backing up the libraries three times; not sure if it excludes library folders if also selected under the C: drive check box.

If you just want an image, select Create a system image from the first screen.
    CreateSysImage.PNG

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice