1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIndows 7 BOSD Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cephral, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cephral

Cephral Thread Starter

Greetings
    ive been having problems for the last few months with my new laptop which i got about a year ago.
    Its an Asus G50vt with a Nvidia 9800GS
    It originally came with Vista 64bit but it started BSOD. So i switched to Windos 7 64 bit.
    Its still Blue Screening and i have no idea what to do as im not too crash hot with the technical side of computers

Im in my last year of Uni and my computer gets used on a daily bases and its extremely stressful when it Blue Screens sometimes up to 5 times in a row! then annoyingly enough it will come good for a few weeks then start all over.

Ive been trying to find answers on google ect and im desperate

Any help would be more than appreciated

Thanks for your time

P.S I took the time to add a few of my most recent minidumps in a .rar file as ive heard that may help.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This is a pretty good indication of bad ram, especially after a clean install of anything.

I've looked at about 4 and they were all the same. You can try reseating the modules which in some cases may be all that is necessary.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

Another, some think better, program that can be used on all operating systems is memtest86

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

You may need to test by using just one module or matched pairs if the test does not indicate a fault -- but I suspect it will.

3. Cephral

Cephral Thread Starter

Thanks you for the fast reply.
    Im not familiar at all with reseating modules so i ran the mdsched.exe
    it said that it detected some errors and to contact the manufacturer to identify and repair them. Also the scan stopped running at 21%
    Does this mean i have faulty RAM/other hardware issues?
    or could this be a setup issue

i tried using a program called uniblue or something and when it scans it says i have about 448 errors
    i cant fix them unless i buy uniblue
    just thought id mention that if its of any use
    thanks

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    UniBlue is not a good program, but if you had errors during the Memory Test it does indeed indicate a ram problem. If you are not too sure about pulling the Ram sticks your self, perhaps you have a friend that knows how to do it you can ask. Or Perhaps the University has an IT department that can give you some assistance.

5. Cephral

Cephral Thread Starter

i will try and find someone who can help as im not sure. or maybe i can find a tutorial on the internet.
    Im not sure if my warranty is still going but i heard that if i open up my laptop my warranty (if still going) will be lost.

What would you recommend?
    and thank you very much for sheeding some light on my situation

P.S i got this BSOD minidump file today as it was a different BSOD from my usual, it said it tried to access non executable memory. is this related to the same problem?

Attached Files:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The faulting module or modules needs to be identified and replaced -- no doubt about it.

The warranty should not be an issue as all computers should permit upgrading or replacement of memory without voiding a warranty. But if the warranty is valid they will replace the memory for you or send you a replacement.

Laptops are really quite easy to work on. If you have the manual or can download it, it should provide clear visual instructions on how to access and remove and replace the modules. It would be best to test each individually.

Generally speaking there will be a latch on the bottom of the laptop with a couple of set screws. To remove the modules you should first shutdown, remove all power including the laptop battery, press the power button down for a couple of seconds to discharge any residual charge, then proceed to remove the latch. There you should see the modules in slots that have levers on each side. The levers are adjusted so that you can then wiggle the modules out. They are slotted and keyed, so pay attention to how they fit in.

Best to ground a hand on something before handling so you do not carry any charge that can damage the module.

You should really consult the manual, but you can probably get a good idea just by reviewing what is generically available on the net, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirNejnzbEM

7. Cephral

Cephral Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the help. Hopefully i will have this fixed within the next week or so.
    Really appreciated :)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good luck -- you are most welcome, of course we will appreciate any follow-up you may have for us.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice