1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 BSOD, Boot failure, Kernel Data inpage error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by feeshta, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feeshta

feeshta Thread Starter

OK, so I just moved for the first time in years, and as soon as I get my PC set up in it's new home it goes all wiggy on me. I'm thinking the trip might have damaged something, but I don't really want to muck about any more than I need to, as the PC is my only good link to my girl right now and I need it to work asap. I also don't have access to my install disc, as it is back home at them moment which makes things interresting.

So, here are the symptoms.
    It started with a strange behavior in windows itself, where windows would not minimize properly. I had to close one window to be able to view the one behind it. When I rebooted the machine, it failed to find the drive and tried to boot from CD. After a little finagling and removing the CMOS, it booted properly, but then promptly crashed. It freezes for a few minutes, and then eventually flashes a BSOD Kernel Data inpage error for a split second before rebooting. Sometimes it will also freeze for a minute or two then come back. Sometimes after a crash it boots right back up, other times it fails to boot. When it fails to boot, sometimes it tells me the boot manager was not located, other times it just says insert disk to boot from CD. Sometimes it will also hang in the middle of the boot cycle. When it hangs in the boot cycle, it will eventually boot after about 15 minutes. The lack of consistency in the behavior is really throwing me off.

The main hard-drive seems to be running hot, but I can't really be sure how warm it got before as I never really paid attention to it. Putting it in the fridge for a few minutes seems to yield an effecive boot the next time along with longer span between BSODs, but I am not sure if that is just my imagination running wild or not. Also leaving the PC case open today seemed to work more effectively, I was able to use the PC for about 5 hours before it crashed. I have tried isolating the ram, and get similar results with either stick alone, or both at the same time. Disc health check returns no errors, virus scan shows no problems. Was prompted to install windows 7 SP1 for x64 this morning and did after which it seemed fine for a while.

My guess as to where the problem lies would be a bad drive, as the raptor is from 2004. I intend to turn this PC into a home theater PC soon, so I was already considering replacing the hard drive due to the noise level from the raptor, but I would like some quality outside opinions before I make any purchases.

Thanks for any insight you guys might be able to give.

Edit: I was able to get the PC to run for a while and use the utility for capturing hardware info. Here it is.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 640 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 70904 MB, Free - 17748 MB; D: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 81 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X38-DS4, ,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

2. feeshta

feeshta Thread Starter

Nobody has any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice