Windows 7, BSOD, Freezing, Crashing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Will_lychee

Computer Specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2047 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 147761 MB, Free - 42700 MB; D: Total - 147487 MB, Free - 134298 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, EM61SM/EM61PM , ,
Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition, Updated and Enabled

My PC has repeatedly crashed, with a variety of different methods. Sometimes it's Blue Screen of Death, sometimes it's complete freezing, and most recently it tends to cut signal to the monitor and emits long intermittent beeps. Looking online for the beeps, I found that the beeping means a memory issue, but Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic have found no errors. I've downloaded Norton 360 and it shows no viruses. I used it's registry scan and no problems. I've ran chkdsk/all from cmd and no problems. I'm starting to run out of options.

The crashes can occur at any time, from the computer being Idle, to playing games, to surfing the web. Also, all crashes occur within about 30 minutes of booting up. If it hasn't crashed by then, It tends to work fine.

Can anyone help me, or is more information needed?

Thanks, Will

Ps. Sorry if this thread is in wrong location, this one seemed most appropriate.

If the RAM is OK, check the hard drive.

Norton 360 will not find any threats. It is among the first disabled by viruses, and trying to use it when a virus already has control means that the virus has the upper hand and can hide itself as well as disable Norton's ability to find it. But this does not sound like a virus.

Running chkdsk /r from your booted Windows DVD will show any bad clusters. Look at the report at the end.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
TachTech
BleepingComputer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online