1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 cannot find devices and printers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TWMurrel, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TWMurrel

TWMurrel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3054 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 88420 MB, Free - 24264 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 102207 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 6459CTO, Not Available, VF1EL82L10V
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

2. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

If you're talking about the window being blank, that happened to me last night. In fact the entire control panel was blank. Everything came back on a reboot so I'm pretty sure the problem was one of the services I'd shut down. Probably the licensing service. Can't find the post I read last night, but it recommended running slui.exe to restart the service-I figured that if one service had failed to start there might be others so I tried a reboot to restart them all, and it worked.

But if that doesn't work for you then you might try running slui.exe

3. Mollie

Mollie

A little more info - what you posted doesn't explain anything.

Are you trying to connect a printer? Do you have a printer connected? Wired or wireless? What brand? Have you gone to the printer website and downloaded/installed the latest drivers for your printer? Has Windows 7 detected the printer before this, and now it won't?

A little info goes a long way.

Mollie

4. TWMurrel

TWMurrel Thread Starter

Hi Mollie,
    Yes I have the printer connected and it prints without any problem however, I cannot access the printers or any usb devices when clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" tab. The page opens to "Open Devices and Printers". I click on that and the page stays blank and the green progress line continues to search. I have left it search for hours but it cannot find any installed devices. Also, I cannot access the printers to change the default through the control panel. Clicking on the "view devices and printers" results in the same blank screen with green progress bar searching and searching.
    I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Tom

5. Mollie

Mollie

You say it prints without any problem, so I guess I'm not quite understanding. What exactly are you trying to do?

Mollie

6. TWMurrel

TWMurrel Thread Starter

Hi Mollie,
    Thanks for the reply. I am trying to change the default printer and remove USB devices safely from my computer. The printer is an all-in-one printer and it will not scan images to the pc. It will print. All instructions say to use the "device and printer" options in the control panel to change printers/devices etc. The system will not do that and I do not want to have to do a "clean" install of Windows 7 and have to re-install all of the programs.
    I spent $60 with HP for help with this and they said it was a windows 7 Operating System problem. So I am stumped.

7. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I found this thread on a Windows 7 forum. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/8157-device-printer-panel-does-not-load.html
    Most of it says to auto-load the Bluetooth Support Service, although that doesn't really make sense to solve a printer problem, but another part of it says to stop & restart the Spooler service. Either way it sounds like some service that should be running isn't-but solutions seem to range all over the list of services.

8. Mollie

Mollie

To uninstall your printer from the devices and printers folder, right click on the printer you wish to uninstall then click on "remove device." That should uninstall the printer and its driver. However, knowing HP, there is probably a ton of software installed for your printer so to be sure to uninstall that software. You may even want to try uninstalling the HP printer software first to see if that helps.

If you wish to designate a printer as the default printer, right click on the printer you want as the default, then click on "set as default printer."

If you can't access your devices and printer folder to uninstall your printer, just shut down your computer, unplug the printer's usb connection from your computer and then start your computer again. What happens when you try to access the folder now?

Mollie

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice