windows 7 clients cant see each other or server in domain

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PK-her0

hi guys,

have a server running 2003

and two workstations each running windows 7

if i go \\192.168.10.52 (both workstations are static ip as im sharing printers on them)
i get the error i have attached to this post...

i can ping everything,but cant access shares via \\

i have restarted:
the server
modem
network switch
workstations but just get this error

i know its not a firewall problem as i can ping server and workstations from any machine

the applications the server is providing is working on the workstation

any suggestions?

thanks

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
What is your Network Location set to? Work or Public?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have and had for years shared printers on multi computers and none of the computers were/are required to have static IP addresses.
What is your requirement to have static addresses?

PK-her0

i always had problems with sharing printers using netbios names...always found it less problematic just using IP's...

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Since Windows 7, 8 and now 10, when a printer is shared, then all other machines can be set to auto connect to ALL printers on the network.

Triple6

Rob
Did you check your Network location? If its set for Public or unknown then by default it blocks sharing.

PK-her0

right dave,didnt know that i always shared it...then went
\\ipaddress installed the printer and always worked well for me
but now i have no connectivity from station to station
thanks

Triple6

Rob
No connectivity how? No accessible shares, no ping? Is the shared printer still working?

PK-her0

ok so when i use the netbios name \\computer its asking for user name and password and at the bottom it says:the system detected a possible attempt to compromise security,please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you

Triple6

Rob
Give the other domain user permission to it or disable password protecting sharing if there is no other shares and disable public folder sharing.
upload_2017-5-16_13-46-57.png

Or do it right and connect the printer directly on the network, if it doesn't have network capability already, bad purchase if it doesn't, then you can add a USB printer server.

Last edited:
I think it is a server issue. The error message says " There are no logon servers available ... ". I would move this thread to the Server forum to see if the server admins can figure this out.

PK-her0

tomorrow im going to detach both workstations and join them up to the domain again...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts