Windows 7 - Connected To Network But No Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ThriceTheory

Hello!

I'm brand new to the forum as I've been having a really odd problem with my internet since about a week after installing Windows 7 (and installing all critical and most of the optional updates / drivers). I live at a boarding school on a network which is used by about 75 people in all. Usually the internet is very fast and to date I've not had a single problem, but after my computer completely failed with my trusty Windows XP, I installed Windows 7 and it worked like a dream, no problems up until now.

After scouring the internet for about a week now no-one seems to have the EXACT same problem as me, but a few people had issues similar, albeit their respective solutions did nothing for me! I'm competent enough with computers but not to this extent, and I feel I have tried everything and looked everywhere for answers by now, but to no avail.

The persisting problem is that one day the network centre says that I am connected to the local network, but have no internet access. After some basic checks I deduced that the problem is Windows 7-based as I can see no other cause (it won't even give me internet on safe mode, but all other 74 students at my boarding school have no problems, many of them with Windows 7 themselves). My drivers are all up-to-date, I have done two system restores to see if that fixed the problem, tried a multitude of different things from the internet but it's still the same.

I'm presented with a yellow exclamation mark on my network icon, still telling me I have no internet access, but as of today I realised I can connect to the internet through a wireless router on the same school network. How is this and can anyone possibly help me with my strange problem?

Many thanks in advance!

davehc

Retired Trusted Advisor
First Name
David
Is it possible that you do not have a problem?
Unless all the computers are wired connections, to the server at the school, wouldn't it be normal to use the wireless connection?

ThriceTheory

Well the thing is, each room has a wired connection to the internet. My neighbour, however, set up a wireless router to his line.
So seeing as everyone else uses a wired connection except him, it's confusing that I can only access the internet through his personal wireless router, other than that there is no other wireless connection here.

Have you tried a different RJ45 cable?
Does your pc work 'wired' in another room?
Any errors in the Device Manager?

davehc

Retired Trusted Advisor
First Name
David
The two adapters i9n your computer may be conflicting. Disable the Wireless adapter in the device manager and reboot. See if the ethernet adapter.can then gan the conection.

i have the same problem, except i cant get online with or without wire or wireless. i went through device manager and everything. im using windows 7 and had wireless for about 6 months and then nothing. dont know if it was an update or what. i bought a new linksys router, i even built a new comp and installed win 7 on that one. still nothing. all my stuff in device manager is ok. what gives? could it possibly be in the updates? system restore didnt even help.

ThriceTheory

Exactly! I wondered if my school had hardware that wasn't Windows 7 compatible but at least 3 of my friends run Win7 on wired and wireless without problems. I'm banking on the fact that it is an update but after three different system restores (which in theory should reset updates?) nothing has changed.

As stated safe mode doesn't even work but wireless does.
Hope someone can help us with this as there's hardly any support for this kind of thing online.

Regards,
Malcolm.

ThriceTheory

Sorry Unbidden & Davehc, didn't see your replies!

And yes, i've tried 6 different cables now in two different boarding school rooms, two of the cables are practically new.
I've also tried uninstalling and disabling the wireless adapter, but that doesen't help. Also, if I connect to the wireless network and then put the cable in my computer, the internet stops working until I remove the cable again.

I'm wondering what will happen if I remove my wireless netcard (I have a stationary) but have yet to try this as i'm extremely busy with course work. Normally this wouldn't be a problem seeing as I can access the wireless router, but I can only access it in my girlfriends room, which is not ideal for studying :D

Anyway, thanks for the input so far guys :]

antech

Banned
I think this will NOT help you ,but still........

Follow the below Instructions Carefully:

1. Download Hijack this from the link.

(Choose the installer of HJT—Hijack This)

2. Run a Scan.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.

(Doing so when NOT Instructed Might cause Unwanted System Instability, BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)

3. Save a Log file (On your Desktop)

4. Copy and Paste all the contents.

5. Paste them in the Reply Window.

I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

I will therefore NOT help if anything related to Malware is found in your log.

The thread will then be moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expert assistance.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
watcher6342 - Would you start a thread of your own in the Networking forum and we can help there

I will move this thread to the networking forum...

Would you disable any firewall you have - that maybe blocking and then do the following

{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
{Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online