1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 decided it was no longer valid, now computer won't start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bman0123, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bman0123

bman0123 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, thanks for your help in advance (I'll keep this concise).

Yesterday I plugged an external drive into my very stable Win 7 HTPC (upgrade from Vista Ultimate) and it caused my computer to restart after installing the driver. Computer worked fine afterwards.

Today computer (never turned off from yesterday) restarts on it's own after work, went to the recovery center on start up. First tried to just load windows normally, but it restarted back to recovery. Went forward with recovery, and windows loaded. I then wanted to see what would happen after a restart to make sure recovery didn't pop up again.

On restart, windows loaded normally, but then went to a black screen saying my copy of windows was not genuine (even though it is).

Restarted, and now computer will not boot to Windows at all. After initial load screen of Windows, computer shuts down immediately. Attempted safe mode, but upon loading safe mode it shuts down. Attempted recovery disc, but computer won't boot from cd rom (even when I went into bios and see the cd drive as the only bootable device). I can't even do a fresh install of Windows now because every time I try to boot from cd rom, it goes to Windows Recovery selection to either recover or start normally. No matter what I try, it just shuts down after the windows startup logo. I never make it to the desktop.

Any ideas on what could cause such a sudden demise of Windows 7 to where it thinks it's no longer genuine... then stops working completely?

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Just a quick question: Did you register your copy of Windows before the 30 Day period?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With those symptoms I'd suspect power supply, memory, motherboard or other hardware problem.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Does the BIOS recognize the hard drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice