1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Dell OS disk on a Samsung laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tricon7, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I need to put Windows 7 on a new internal hard drive that's in my Samsung laptop. I found someone who has a Windows 7 disk for sale, unopened, along with the drivers disk, but it says Dell on it. Would it work on my Samsung laptop, even though it's not a Samsung hard drive, or would it only be made to work on a Dell computer?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    No it may not.
    It will try and use the DELL driver and software which may not work on your machine.

The best thing to do, is contact Samsung support and see what they can do for you.

If you get the install DVDs from Samsung, it will contain the drivers and software needed to run this machine.
    It may also set up the "Recover" partition that may be used later to restore to Factory settings.

3. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I lost my disks on a move, and my hard drive went kaput. I have a new hard drive, but no operating system. I don't think Samsung is going to send me a brand new Windows 7 OS disk, will they? The laptop is about 1 1/2 year old now, I guess. Still relatively new to me.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not likely. But you may be able to purchase a set of Recovery DVDs pretty reasonably.

5. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Well, I'm in a fix. I had tried to use Norton Ghost to move OS and all over onto the new hard drive. But I still got "operating system not found" when I tried to boot from the new one, so that failed. So my new hard drive may or may not have a working OS on it. Recovery disks would be great, but I don't know what they have to work with at this point.

FYI, I have a disk that I made sometime in the past labeled "Windows 7 recovery disk," and when booting with it I get "operating system not found" - again. For all I know there is no working OS on the hard drive to recover, so any recovery disks Samsung may send me would be worthless with no OS, right?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A set of Recovery DVDs would image the hard drive to the way it was when the PC was first sold.

Is the hard drive detected by the BIOS? Norton Ghost is supposed to create a backup image on the second drive, right? That should be detected as a Windows OS even if it can't be booted.

7. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Not sure if this is a repost, but I had a few things change, so I thought I'd post what's happening.

My Samsung laptop (after only two years) started giving me an imminent hard drive failure message, so I bought a 1 TB hard drive replacement. I also bought Norton Ghost in order to move files, folders, and operating system over onto the new drive (since I lost my OS disk in a move). After the transfer, I installed my new HD, I got the Samsung splash screen for a moment, then an "operating system not found" message after that. I tried to put the old HD back in, and strangely enough, it gave me the same error message now. So neither work and I'm dead in the water.

I have no OS or repair disks to help me. I called Samsung, and since my laptop is out of warranty, I'd have to mail it out-of-state for a fee for them to repair. I feel like my issue can be resolved somehow, but I don't know how. I was even going to borrow someone's Windows 7 (64-bit) OS disk, but no one I know has one that's not just an update.

Someone told me that it may just be an issue with the master boot record, but a Google search didn't really shed any light on what I should do with that.

Any suggestions before I mail off to Samsung?

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

STEP 1
    Start tapping the F8 key immediately after starting the PC. This will take you to the "Advanced Boot Options". On some OEM machines hit the F8 key immediately after the logo disappears.

Select "Repair Your Computer", answer the prompts and then the "System Recovery Options" menu will appear.

It will do a search for the operating system, if none are found stop there and skip to STEP 2.

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    System Image Recovery
    Windows Memory Diagnostics
    Command Prompt

Select Startup Repair and let it run without touching anything, it may reboot do not touch any keys as it will run automatically. If it fails to repair the problem run it again up 3 times. If no joy then let me know and I can post instructions to rebuild the MBR.

STEP 2
    You can download your version of Wndows 7 from here Windows 7 ISO downloads

In windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
    Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Then follow this Windows 7 Repair Install

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged two of your threads here. You also have several other open threads on this same topic. They are older and I am not going to merge them all, but please do not start any more threads on this topic.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice