1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7, disable Internet access, but stay on network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ocmdiaz714, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ocmdiaz714

ocmdiaz714 Thread Starter

I recently had my Internet disconnected, and decided to share my iPhone's Internet connection (tether) with my PC. Now, the iPhone connection works, but for some reason my PC prefers to use my original Internet connection thus no connection. The only way I can access the Internet is by going into adapter settings and disabling my router, but I do not want to do this as I have other computers on the network and I often share files.

So what can I do? I want to keep my router enabled, but don't want my PC to use it to access the Internet. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    remove the wireless profile on the PC

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - Vista/Windows7:
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand your post, but to answer what you may mean by your thread title use a static IP on the connection to the router and leave the Default Gateway and DNS Servers blank.

4. ocmdiaz714

How do I use a static IP? What is a static IP? Enter a random IP onto the IPv4 settings?

Thanks for the help by the way. And to make it simpler to understand:

I have a couple of computers in a network wired to my WRT54G. What I want to do is tell Windows 7 to stop using the router for Internet access as it won't work, but to use it for network file sharing only.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't use a completely random IP. It has to be in the same subnet as your router's LAN is using, but outside the Dhcp server's address range.

If, for example, your router's LAN address is 192.168.1.1 and the Dhcp server's address range is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100 then your static IP could be from 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.254.

6. ocmdiaz714

The IP I see being used by one of the computers on the network is 192.168.1.110 if that helps. What I need to do is find one IP out of a certain rage that Windows will allow?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look in the LAN section of your router's configuration pages. Windows has nothing to do with it.

8. ocmdiaz714

Do I change the IP for IPv4 or IPv6?

9. ocmdiaz714

My LAN ip is 192.168.1.1 by the way.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IPv4. It is highly unlikely that you or your router is using IPv6.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice