1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by okrick, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okrick

okrick Thread Starter

Is there any method for forcing Windows 7 to find a USB device?

Specifically my Brother MFC-8440 printer, scanner, and fax machine was working just fine in Vista 64 bit but quit when I upgraded my PC to Windows 7.

Windows found a printer device but not the driver. It did not find the scanner or fax devices. I downloaded and unzipped the Vista - 64 drivers and then pointed the Windows 7 printer device to that directory. That fixed the printer.

However, Windows 7 does not recognize the scanner as a separate device. Apparently Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices. XP and Vista had no problem with this.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Are you sure about that? I've never gotten any full function out of a multipurpose device by just pointing to drivers. Isn't there an installation package for the Brother? I can imagine some .dlls and supporting software besides the drivers have to get placed in some specific locations and without an installation package, I don't know if any OS can figure that out on its own.

3. okrick

okrick Thread Starter

There is an installation package for all versions of windows through Vista. Oddly Brother isn't supporting Windows 7.

4. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Well, then it is a Brothers issue NOT a Windows 7 thing.
    Have you tried the Vista software and drivers for this "Brothers" device?

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

A strange thing with my HP Multi-Function in Windows 7 is that it 'stacks' the devices under one icon. HP Officejet J4680 (Printer/Scanner/Fax). All of them are recognized & work (with Windows Fax & Scan as well as with HP's software) but when I go into Printers & Devices all I see is a single icon labelled 'HP J4680'. When I right-click on it though, I'm given the choice of seeing/managing the J4680 Printer, J4680 Scanner, or J4680 Fax.

In print dialogs, the Printer & Fax show separately so Windows 7 does see them as separate devices-it's just also smart enough to know that they're all on the same USB port.

6. okrick

okrick Thread Starter

I have tried the Vista software and drivers.

It is true that Brothers decided not to support Windows 7. However, Windows XP and Vista both recognized that this specific device had multiple functions and would show device errors for all of the functions until the proper drivers were supplied. Windows 7 only recognized the printer function. I was able to correct the printer function by showing Windows where the drivers were located. I feel that if the scanner function showed a driver error then I could correct the problem in the same manner.

7. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Your problem is still the fact that BROTHERS has NOT provided the drivers and software to Microsoft to be included.
    What you MAY have is a GENERIC print driver written by MS or some other party, to accommodate those users of this product.

It appears then that NO one has written a driver for the scanner.

8. GeoffV

GeoffV

Hi okrick

Have you tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode for Vista? The following link provides a procedure for doing this: http://bit.ly/B0tCG .

Hope this helps
    GeoffV
    Windows 7 Client Team

9. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Brother says that the 8440 is Windows 7 compatible: "The Windows Update system provided by Microsoft® provides the appropriate drivers for your Brother machine. These drivers have the basic functionality of Brother original drivers." http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...all.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc8440_all

So, if running Windows Update and checking the optional updates doesn't work for you, I'd see if the 8440 shows up in device manager. If it does, try Update Driver.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878739